king pins

haze

howdy ya'll new around these parts. i just recently purchased a 72 521 truck. rebuilding the engine, clutch, brakes, differential and front suspension. three questions i desperately need answered; 1) king pins, i plan on removing the whole spindle and having a machine shop press in the the new part however i am having a hell of a time getting the knuckle arm/ spindle off the truck. i got the tie rod off with no problems but the other two bolts holding the thing to the rest of the suspension wont budge i feel like i am going to break my wrench or the bolts or drop the truck off its stands being that there is no engine in it at this time. is there some kind of trick to this? 2) bushings, all my bushings are pretty much shot on my front end suspension. are there any kits available? 3) radiators, mine is shot. it holds water just fine but the fins are a little over 35 percent gone there is no direct replacement as i understand but does anyone have a line on something for under a hundred bucks that would work without too much bs?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

contack Mklots on here

but on olddatsuns.com there is a kingpin write up. in the tech section

yea i saw the write up however there isnt much on getting the whole piece out from the truck to be machined. i have two bolts left .a top bolt at 19 mm above the king pin knuckle that looks to be a pin that i cant get out with a hammer and one under the knuckle at 28 mm with a grease fitting in the middle that i just cant seem to break no matter how hard i pull any tricks on removing these SOBs ?

I did my kingpins last month and i couldnt get that lower fulcrum pin out either to get the whole spindle assembly off!! I was starting to bend the pin so i called every auto parts store and none had it available, Called nissan and they told me the same thing that is was no longer available. i was able to get the upper cotterpin that holds the kingpin out with a big sledge hammer! it didnt matter if i bent that one cuz they came with the kit i bought! I was able to get drive the king pin out then take the spindle off to be able to drive the bushings out on a bench! I soaked everything with some pb blaster for a few days before starting but i didnt help! My advise is dont even mess with that lower pin unless you have the right tools to drive them out with out damaging them!

I did my kingpins last month and i couldnt get that lower fulcrum pin out either to get the whole spindle assembly off!! I was starting to bend the pin so i called every auto parts store and none had it available, Called nissan and they told me the same thing that is was no longer available. i was able to get the upper cotterpin that holds the kingpin out with a big sledge hammer! it didnt matter if i bent that one cuz they came with the kit i bought! I was able to get drive the king pin out then take the spindle off to be able to drive the bushings out on a bench! I soaked everything with some pb blaster for a few days before starting but i didnt help! My advise is dont even mess with that lower pin unless you have the right tools to drive them out with out damaging them!

glad i am not the only one!!! pray tell what tools does one need to remove this stubborn mofo?

What I have done in the past, when I remember to, is to leave the nut on the fulcrum pin by only loosening it(the nut) till it is even with the end of the threads, then tapping on the nut and shaft at the same time, and if that doesn't work then I use a punch about the size of the threaded shaft, leaving the nut on it. If the nut is on it you can hit it a little firmer/harder without deforming the threads.

btw trying to pop that upper pin out i broke a 5" c clamp from oriley's .... in half, and bent craftsman c clamp completely to crap. was using them with a 20 mm deep socket on the bolt end in hopes of pushing it out. anyone know of anything similar to a gear puller that might work for this application? i am sure i could press it out if i only knew of a tool that would work and wasn't stupid expensive. maybe a ball joint anchor pin press set? i dont want to borrow one and then break it. i can spin the pin with a ratchet and breaker bar but i cant for the life of me drive it out .... help me smart people for i am dumb

I dont think u can spin those pins since they are flat on one side to hold the fulcrum in place! Like I said before, I broke three punches and couldn't get it to budge! Used a brass drift and a big sledge hammer and all I did was to mushroom the tip!! I gave up because if I damaged them more I wouldn't be able to replace them!! Just work on the upper pin that holds the kingpin and with a good drift pound the kingpin out while still on the truck!

I dont think u can spin those pins since they are flat on one side to hold the fulcrum in place! Like I said before, I broke three punches and couldn't get it to budge! Used a brass drift and a big sledge hammer and all I did was to mushroom the tip!! I gave up because if I damaged them more I wouldn't be able to replace them!! Just work on the upper pin that holds the kingpin and with a good drift pound the kingpin out while still on the truck!

brother i got a 521 there are 3 things holding my brakes hub and king pin knuckle assembly to the car , the steering arm,and the 2 bolts above and below that king pin assembly the bottom is a big ass nut at 29 mill according to the socket that fits the top and the other a 19 mm pin one side threaded the other side a 19mm bolt head. maybe the old owner did something weird but that is what i am looking at

I thought it was the same set up as the 620! I'm not sure though! Sorry I can't be more helpful! Why don't u try taking some pics and posting them! Most of the fellas know their stuff and can probably help u out better like that!

i think i am going to try using a ball joint separator on the top fulcrum pin the bottom pin according to the manual is held in place with a cotter pin in the middle and screw bushings on the sides i am going to use a buddies impact wrench on it and see what happens. the upper fulcrum bushings are screwed as are all the other bushings on my front end know of any complete kits out there or how to piece one together?

• 2 weeks later...