l18 alternator help

thisisn8n

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know it's bad?? The previous owner may have done a hack job converting it over for use with internal regulated alt. I would check his wiring.

Another cause is the brushes wear down and don't make contact. About $15 at the dealer.

If it says LR it's external regulated. If LT it's an internal regulator. Yours is a 50 amp output internally regulated unit. It could be from several cars made only after '78 ... S10 (200sx), A10 (HL510) possibly a 210 or B310 but not a truck or Z car.

You can compare your wiring to this diagram that shows how it should be.

510iraltswap.jpg

That one looks like an externally regulated alternator. It has a Field(F) and Neutral(N) connector. If it was internally regulated it would have an L and S . If you want to upgrade to an internal one I would get the 240sx alternator. If you need lots of power for a stereo get the mini-van's alternator. Just change the pulley to V-blet type. I can take some pictures of the stock alternator on my truck and one I have laying around for my 510. I can get them for you on monday.

-Dime

That one looks like an externally regulated alternator. It has a Field(F) and Neutral(N) connector. If it was internally regulated it would have an L and S . If you want to upgrade to an internal one I would get the 240sx alternator. If you need lots of power for a stereo get the mini-van's alternator. Just change the pulley to V-blet type. I can take some pictures of the stock alternator on my truck and one I have laying around for my 510. I can get them for you on monday.

-Dime

If it says LR it's external regulated. If LT it's an internal regulator. Yours is a 50 amp output internally regulated unit. It could be from several cars made only after '78 ... S10 (200sx), A10 (HL510) possibly a 210 or B310 but not a truck or Z car.

Bazinga.jpg