Perris Valley Camper Shell

Roger

My new 521 ( still awaiting pick up in Oregon) has a Perris Valley Camper Shell on it. The truck is a 1971 and so is the shell. It has been on the truck, uninterupted, since new( just imagine the bed!).

Question: Did this camper shell come on the truck as a dealer installed option? Why do I ask?? I ask because the truck has no tailgate. The Perris Valley Camper shell takes the place of the tailgate and has a little door where the tail gate should be. It is way cool, but I want a tail gate, too.

I have contacted the original owner who owned it untill 1999. The man is dead but his wife is still kicking. She lives at the same address as on the 521 new car warranty. I can't help but wonder if the tailgate is stashed in their attic or garage--never used. If the camper shell came as original derlaer equipment there is probably no tailgate. Right?? When dealers installed A/c back then they did not give the owner the parts that they took off to install the a/c.. Maybe it was thesame for the tailgate? Anyone know the answer? The truck was purchased new at Stevens Motors in Oregon. Thanks, Roger

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My new 521 ( still awaiting pick up in Oregon) has a Perris Valley Camper Shell on it. The truck is a 1971 and so is the shell. It has been on the truck, uninterupted, since new( just imagine the bed!).

Question: Did this camper shell come on the truck as a dealer installed option? Why do I ask?? I ask because the truck has no tailgate. The Perris Valley Camper shell takes the place of the tailgate and has a little door where the tail gate should be. It is way cool, but I want a tail gate, too.

I have contacted the original owner who owned it untill 1999. The man is dead but his wife is still kicking. She lives at the same address as on the 521 new car warranty. I can't help but wonder if the tailgate is stashed in their attic or garage--never used. If the camper shell came as original derlaer equipment there is probably no tailgate. Right?? When dealers installed A/c back then they did not give the owner the parts that they took off to install the a/c.. Maybe it was thesame for the tailgate? Anyone know the answer? The truck was purchased new at Stevens Motors in Oregon. Thanks, Roger

is your truck red?

Yeah, this is exactly what I thought happened. I contacted the person that the original owner sold the truck to and discussed the history. He agreed that the tailgate might be still at the original owner's house. He said he would drive the 12 miles and check it out for me. if there is no tailgate I will need to buy one. This truck has been garaged most of its life and the paint is still great. It is sage green and original. I need a tail gate like that is same condition. Price is secondary.

I will have pics to show everyone when the truck arrives. The shipper is dallying around and not picking it up prompt. its been a week since I contracted with them.

The seller is trying to find the original wheels and poverty caps from the peopple they bought it from. I know who might have the AM radio, too and I will contact that guy. he also has the old intake manifold and carb all in a box the third owner gave him when he sold the truck. I have the entire history of the truck pieced together from maintenance records, and all previous owners are enthuisastic about restoring it to original condition They each have stories to tell about it.