521 slave cylinder for clutch...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The stock 521 slave has (or should have) a threaded rod that fits a hole in the clutch arm for adjusting the clutch with. The early 620 used basically the same transmission but even the later 620 4 and 5 speed slaves should still work.

Can you find a rebuild kit? I got one for my 620 from the dealer, $12 and even had the bleeder nipple and little rubber cover in the kit.

I don't know about 521's, but the problem with the 620 cylinder for my '68 520 is that it doesn't have a spot to hook the return spring. I think there is an Mklotz thread somewhere with a modification to make it work. I lucked out and found one on ebay pretty cheep. :)

The 620 slave cylinder may work. The big issue you have to deal with on a 521 it that the fittings on the brake lines are American threads. I am going to guess this is the same with the clutch hydraulics.

I believe the 620 truck uses metric threads on the brake fittings. You might have to get an adapter, or in some other way get the fittings to work. On one 521 I was working on, I found somebody had made a steel brake line with a 3/8-24 flare nut on one end, and a M10 x 1.0 flare nut on the other end, to match a 620 wheel cylinder put in a 521 rear brake.

There might also be a good chance that if you got the 620 rebuild kit, even if you could not use the new bleeder fitting, the new cups, and rubber seals would enable you to rebuild your slave cylinder.

went and baught a 620 one... it fit and hooked up just fine, no spot for the return spring :unsure: do i need that anyways?

having issues gravity bleeding it by myself... i thought i got the bubbles out but i took it around the block and I had to double pump it to shift :( going to have a friend come over and help meh bleed it...