Need to pick some brains...

_A2_

( I'll save y'all my sob story.... )

Just lost 5th gear and reverse is making the most god awfull grinding the likes I've never heard.

1978 620 L-20B

Is it true that I can bolt on a 5 speed trans from a '77-'79 280Z ?????

Is having it rebuilt an option ?

I've got a '75 620 I was hoping to work on next year, will that trans fit ???

What would y'all do ?????

We're going to pull the trans out of the '78 this weekend and I can add more details/photo's then if need be....

Thanks in advance. As I was going down the highway and lost 5th gear... RATSUN DUDES !!!!!! was the first thing that popped into my head.

IMG_1035.jpg

EL CHEBO

San Marcos, TX

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

78 should have the long (approx.31 inches long) trans in it, so any long L-motor trans should swap right in! use the clutch fork off the trans that is in the truck now on the new trans, sometimes they are slightly different!

any truck or Z-car trans will work as long as they are the same length.

i think the 82 Z has a taller 5th gear for better mileage!

The '77-'78 280z, '79 280zx (non turbo), '79-'84 810/Maxima (gas or diesel) is an exact match for gear ratios and fits without any mods.

The '79 620 has a wider ratio gear set with a much lower 1st gear for use with it's 4.11 rear end. More of a 'farm truck' transmission. The '80-'83 280zx will also work but the ratios are closer together than your '78 and all have a much much higher over drive ratio for the highway. If you like to carry heavy loads I would avoid the late zx tranny but if just for driving, specially highway driving it's a good choice. All of the above will fit without mods.

Yes your '75 transmission will fit but it will be a 4 speed. (unless previously changed to a 5 speed)

Rebuilding can get very expensive.

MUCHA GRACIAS....

Just a quick word of thanks.

Night before last I found a guy in Austin selling a 4 speed from a '78 280z for $150. Drove up there, shot the sh*t about Datsun's in his garage for an hour and drove home. He claimed that it was rebuilt by a pro. and only driven for a week before it came back out.

Yesterday my foreman and I took around 5 hours to pop the old one out and snug that four speed back up in there. ( Only lost one exhaust manifold bolt :) ) That tranny shifted like it was brand new, and the guy I got it from even called me last night to make sure that everything went ok, and to invite me to hang out with his Datsun Head friends one weekend.

I had used the RATSUN search engine and found most of the info and y'all are probably sick of answering stupid questions, but I had to ask for myself.

I'm using her for work and didn't have time to mess around, but when I swap out trannys again, may be I should take some pics and do a write up for the other mechanically declined, like myself, out there.

What I'm trying to say is, I really appreciate the info and hope to be able to repay y'all back someday.

Sincerely and Humbly,

A2 and EL CHEBO

IMG_1140.jpg