new to ratsun and datsuns! got two 521"s!

VW Datsun guy

Hey everyone my name is Kiel, I am a pure newbie to datsuns and pretty much trucks and anything older than 1993 lol (yes im young at 25 and the VW in my name is i work for the new volkswagen plant in TN). I was looking for one a cple years ago after i saw an orange 620 in a superstreet magazine and was hooked but never had the money and was balls deep in my last project an 04 mazda 6. last year i was in need of a daily driver and wanted to find one running but couldnt find one for anything less than gold so i ended up with my first mini truck a 1981 dodge d50 after having lots of issues and loosing my ass on it i sold it and moved on. ON TO THE DATS! i was searching around the TN area for a cpl months for a dat and didnt find anything too interesting then i found " two datsun 521's for 1000$" i so wanted them but had just gone on a long and expensive vacation so no deal. more than a month later i was purusing again and they were still up i called, i looked, i loved then i bought for 850$! So after having issues getting them home in two trips a week apart with two different trucks to haul (old beat up trucks and a bad transmission and a shit ton of gas and $) ive finally got them home one is a 69 i believe the other is a 71 at first i thought the 69 (the red one) was the better of the two cuz it looks taken car of but its a rust bucket. the "white"one has been thru the ringer but is in better condiotn after the skins. the red one has the 1300 and the 71 has the 1600.

The plan so far is to put all the skins from the 69 onto the 71 get it running then drop it and thats about it for now even though i have two vehicles to make one im still in need for some parts so any help would be awesome. i need hubcaps a windshield some fender mirrors a cool steering wheel and some more stuff but ill get into that later. anyways here goes the pics what most people (me especially) look at.

168.jpg

158.jpg

159.jpg

160.jpg

161.jpg

162.jpg

163.jpg

166.jpg

this is only a 1/4 of the crap i took out of the lh rocker. the whole floor and lh rocker is pretty much missing along with holes in the front radiator support and fenderwheels is why im using the 71 its only got a small hole in the floor but better everywhere elseother than some bad dents but all dents can be taken out.

169.jpg

all the skins i.e. the hood fenders door grill/radiator support and bed is all trash

168.jpg

172.jpg

170.jpg

all the junk in the bed and inside the cab the guy "gave me"

171.jpg

173.jpg

one of many ghetto things on this truck like the rest of the exhaust, the "bumper" and the super cool 4 different tire sizes

174.jpg

175.jpg

176.jpg

after getting the fenders hood all grill stuff off and grinding the welds off the "grill/support", taking the bed and gas tank out

177.jpg

178.jpg

182.jpg

some of my junk so far the messed up grill fender and tailgate

179.jpg

started taking off some stuff to put on the 71

181.jpg

the valance and the seats i was going to put in but not sure i will be able to because of the big steering wheel theres not much room for me

180.jpg

which grill do you think i should use? i think i like the 69 better, also glad all the 69 parts are good cuz they only have reflectors on the fenders and bed instead of the actual bulky lights

183.jpg

some more fun bondo i found in the lh bottom fender

so theres some stuff any input is awesome cant wait to have an awesome truck and share more datsun stuff with you guys!

oh and a a great hillbilly moment for me since im a hardcore yankee and i usually make fun of the rednecks around here

165.jpg

pullin around the 69 when i first got it with my TDI :)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome! Looks like you should get a pretty cool truck out of the two! I like both grills, hard to decide. Good choice going with the 71 because of the L-engine. Lots of stuff for L's around still! And you can just swap them w/o motormounts, etc.

nice find. i bought my 2 for $500. for the pair but spent over 1k to get them back to phoenix,az. from las cruces NM a few years back. i have a L18 in my project and still have the L16 that was in it.

WELCOME!!! looks like those trucks will make one hell of a clean truck! I just picked up two myself!!! :)

whats funny is i got a 69 parts truck and a newer one for the project as well.. i had to make the same decision as well with the grill :lol: I picked the older one i digged it better :)

heres my project thread... ! :)

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/29358-the-sickness-operation-parts-haulerjdm-pickup/