machine shop recommendation

hastifc

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband had this guy do machine work on an engine for us about a month ago. He came highly recommended by a few older gentlemen that are employees at a local Napa. He may be worth a shot hitting up to see if he'd do your spindles. He's in south Seattle / White Center area.... so relatively close to you.

• 2 weeks later...

if you need new king pins try kimballs in tacoma. king pins are easy to do, i dont care what anyone says. finding the kit for cheap is the hard part. ebay seems to be the only place to get them at a great price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270727337805&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

• 2 weeks later...

if you need new king pins try kimballs in tacoma. king pins are easy to do, i dont care what anyone says. finding the kit for cheap is the hard part. ebay seems to be the only place to get them at a great price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270727337805&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

If you have the tools and they co-operate! :) I did a bit of searching....found a thread that referenced my own site for a how-to.....I'd forgotten it was on there! :) ....oh well....that's why my siggy says what it does. Anyway.....you can go to the tech page on www.olddatsuns.com or here's the link

http://ddgonzal.members.winisp.net/nwde/4234.htm

dat521gather made a comment on the other thread about not needing to put the dogbone assembly off the truck since there were no fitted bushings.....I don't believe that's quite correct. I agree that it can be done on the truck, although it would be very difficult. The bushings that come with the kingpin kit are fitted. Once they're installed, they need to be reamed....at least the kits I've gotten. The specs are in the factory manual...also on the tech page of my site. Maybe if you buy the $75 kit from the dealer they don't need to be reamed. The $20 kits from overseas...yep.

If you have the tools and they co-operate! :) I did a bit of searching....found a thread that referenced my own site for a how-to.....I'd forgotten it was on there! :) ....oh well....that's why my siggy says what it does. Anyway.....you can go to the tech page on www.olddatsuns.com or here's the link

http://ddgonzal.memb...t/nwde/4234.htm

dat521gather made a comment on the other thread about not needing to put the dogbone assembly off the truck since there were no fitted bushings.....I don't believe that's quite correct. I agree that it can be done on the truck, although it would be very difficult. The bushings that come with the kingpin kit are fitted. Once they're installed, they need to be reamed....at least the kits I've gotten. The specs are in the factory manual...also on the tech page of my site. Maybe if you buy the $75 kit from the dealer they don't need to be reamed. The $20 kits from overseas...yep.

if i did it myself i would mic it whether or not its 75 or 25.. having the reamer is a different story.. thx for the link!

The biggest prob with taking the lower fulcrum pin out is the cotter bolt.....as far as I know, they are not available any more. You may want to check on that. Getting them out....in reusable condition.....can be a nightmare. The cotter bolt for the kingpins themselves was a pain, but a new one comes in the kit.

You can buy an adjustable ream pretty cheap.