its dead :(

RAlly_DatoB210

so today i was out rallying my 78 510 hatch beater and it just lost all power going up a hill. had gas but once i shifted into a gear it would just bog down into nothingness. like it idles. sorta.. definitely a lean idle but it still holds high then when i step on the gas. i searched and possibly fuel pump? was out about 5 miles form my house when this happened. removed air filter cover and gave it some revs but next to zero fuel was coming out of the car jets. is this the fuel pump the carb or maybe some sensor going haywire? before i start tearing into it though i would ask here first

thanks

evan

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is the fuel pump then the fuel filter's probably clogged aswell, dirt cheap part and worth replacing regularily to save your fuel pump. I was having the same problem, then replaced the pump and filter, no more problem. Maybe some other folks have some more trouble shooting tips. Hope it's an easy fix.

take the output of the fuel pump.

point hose in safe direction and start car. if gas shoots out then its not the fuel pump. In not gas look at the filter if plugged. I hightly dought it but ck anyways or get a new one and cut open the old one.

if not gas is shooting in the carb when you cycle the gass its either accell pump on car or the flaot is low or emply thus running out of gas. Sometimes the needle valve that lets the gas in get dirty and stock closed. or partly closed where you run it dry on a heavy load. Try wacking it where the gas hose goes in to carb.

if dont idle then ck the idle jet or if you have a stock carb make sure the idle cut off selinoid is hooked up.

Shit in the tank was stirred up from jumping it, so if dirt the filter might be plugged, if water is in the carb blocking the main jet and running lean. Keep driving and it will clear. If sediment in the carb stirred up it will have to be taken apart and cleaned out.

yup...

I had something similar on my way home :) a cop had to push off the road to a parking spot :)

I had taken the tank off and stirred up sediment and clogged the fuel pump.

I started at the carb, popped off the hose and turned on the power (pump sounded like it was pumping, but no fuel)

I went back to the filter, same thing, no fuel coming out.

I went all the way back to the pump, bingo, no fuel coming out, therefore it was the pump.

If you still have the stock fuel pump, you can just bolt that one on and use it until you get a new electric fuel pump.

not sure what it was probably colgged filter. didnt replace it yet but got it running. adjusted the idle while i was at it and after jostling the carb a little with the end of a squeege it ran better than before. definately getting a new fuel filter though. did that on the 2 door sedan and it made all the difference.