sticky valves?

the 510's been sitting a while..(years).I got the gas tank done and all the hydraulics that were no good done, slapped some 38mm S/Us on it and drove it home 17 miles from my shop.Tried to start it the next day..wouldnt start..it sounded like the starter wasnt spinning the motor.I got a new Z starter.Spooled the motor but wasn't getting the typical bump bump bump of even compression.Like a dumb ass I forced it to start.Running like shit,only 2 or 3 holes putting in work and a random metal to metal sound.I shut it down and popped the valve cover off and found THIS!

5456772968_48af6e1bf1.jpg

IMAG0372 by jbirds510, on Flickr

5456162917_bfa03f476f.jpg

IMAG0371 by jbirds510, on Flickr

Any tricks to unstick and keep them unstuck?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That won't solve the valve being stuck in the down position, though.

Only a few ways valves get stuck- most common way when the timing was correct was that after sitting for years, the stems got rusty. Running it got the rust jammed in the guides, they hung long enough to get hit by a piston which bent the valve and now it's PERMANENTLY stuck open.

They also can get gummed up, and hitting it with a hammer makes it close, but you have to remove the valve and clean the stem/guide (possibly also reaming the guide).

In both cases, the head has to come off and the valves removed.

See if you can get the rocker arm out of there and have the spring come up. If it stays down it's likely hooped. Right now it looks like the rocker just jumped off. Rotate the cam around so the lobe is pointing up and see if that helps.