strange brake issue

bonvo

ok so i just got home from monterey visiting my girlfriend for valentines day and had the scariest ride home i had no brakes! wall almost no brakes the pedal almost hit the floor before the brakes did anything and they were really weak i pull over shut the car off pump the pedal once and i have brakes back i get back on the freeway and loose them again they work great in town i have a good solid pedal and stop normally but on the freeway i have almost nothing the car is running stock 76 610 brakes on all 4 corners stock master and booster any ideas?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is one of them dragging? It would get really hot on the highway and maybe boil the brake fluid and the peddle will drop to the floor. Around town they would get hot but not hot enough. Take for a drive and feel the rim but watch out! They get HOT! Disc brakes seem to do this more than drum. Discs are on the front and the front does most of the stopping so any loss it really noticeable.

I've found that if the booster isn't working then the peddle becomes super hard to press down on. I had a spider nest over the winter in the open vac line on my truck. Took both feet on a rock hard peddle to stop in the driveway. It was the one way valve not letting vacuum into the booster.

i should update this i worked on it and found that the rear brakes were waaaaaaaaay out of adjustment and the pedal was also out of adustment im thinking that these 2 factors teamed with the fact that the brake booster makes the pedal drop a little at freeway speeds is what caused this issue im still going to test it but i beleve i have solved the issue