Newb

Redd

Just got myself a 79 620 "bulletside" as i like to call it. Theres only a few large dents on the body one on the right rear and a real small one on the top of the cab towards the rear. It has factory A/C but the compressor locked up and they guy took it off.. But all the lights work, heater blows still.. The motor needs to be timed and the guy is going to do it if he has time before next saturday when i go pick it up with a trailer.... Its already lowered front torsion bars adjusted all the way down and some blocks in the rear.. But soon as its running the suspension is getting all hacked out and full on custom air ride set up going in.

Heres some pics... Gotta love the interior

12mar07020.jpg

16mar07011.jpg

16mar07008.jpg

16mar07013.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you heard her run yet? Make sure you test drive it, unless you are getting it for a really low price. Allow it to warm up and check that it doesn't overheat, a good sign of a warped head. Do the gauges and speedo work? Try all gears and listen for growling noises. Is the steering loose, does it vibrate, or pull to one side, check front tires for uneven wear patterns. Check the windshield wipers, where are they? and E brake, do they work? Beware of a loud exhaust as it will hide a lot of other sounds. Does the exhaust smoke, is the tail pipe sooty or worse, oily? Does the odometer read a mileage that agrees with the wear on the peddles? Clutch and brake: smooth and even operation. Does the tranny, motor, or rear end leak oil? These are all things that can be used to bargain the price down.

Be an informed buyer, know what you are looking for, know what you want, get what you pay for. Be prepared to walk away. I'm not trying to bring you down, just want you to be happy with your purchase. She is a sweet little truck, well, maybe not the leopard print door panel covers, lol, but the rest is something you can work with. Good luck!

dosent run... they did a head gasket and didnt time the motor right.. It turns over.. But rest of it is pretty straight and clean.... I snagged it for $500 I have plans for a different motor anyway so if the motor dosent run i can live with that... Ill either rebuild it for now or start off with the swap... Rebuilding a motor isnt new to me at all... and this motor is alot simpler than the one in my lightning

Hiya Redd! good to have another member (i switched over from nwde) so I'm sorta a newb here as well. ^_^

Cool cool... That was the first forum i found when searching on this truck.. granted im sure nobody else is even close to Texas but guess ill stand out haha:D

Hiya Redd! good to have another member (i switched over from nwde) so I'm sorta a newb here as well. ^_^

Char! good to see you. I still go to (the other place) look around. Keep posting here, we need more L trucks.

I like the paint scheme, I'm a big fan of 2 tone paint. What kind of a/c is on the truck? I have a/c in my 78 and it looks way different. I am also missing the compressor. The compressor on my L was mounted where the fuel pump goes, so mine truck had an electric pump. I have plans to hook the a/c back up, which will be a big job. I have no room in front of the radiator, I put the fan there do to the big radiator was to close the the engine to run it there...... anyways its nice to see more truck fellows :D

I'll have to make a ratsun patch for my jacket now

ooowww make me one to :D

looks like a good start. 79 has the good brakes.

I've never seen any factory AC that is under dash like that, and also the 1979 factory AC compressor bracket would cover the manual fuel pump. It would have an electric pump only. Maybe the previous owner told you it was factory but its probably aftermarket. of course, that really is irrelavant.

Stick a KA-T in there. :D

only way i have to get it home.. Friend that was going to haul it for me cant saturday, but can sunday.. I cant sunday... and next few weekends im gunna be outa town.. lol.. So tossing air shocks on the rear and got friends trailer and going to get it home one way or another

• 3 weeks later...