Need help with timing

Hi I have an 81' Z22 Datsun KC 720 4x4, and the thing is, I bought it from my cousin and he didn't really do any thing to it, but the person prier had all sorts of stuff hooked up wrong, I just got a new carb for it, and I'm trying to get it to smog but the timing is off. I am pretty sure the plugs are not in order on the distributor cap, because I have to make it completely retarded the even get close to 1000, and when I turn it off it shakes and sputters really bad and some time takes awhile to turn off. Any Ideas on what my problem is, I'm hoping its not off in the cam, crank, chains...

Oh if possible could some one post a image of or diagram of my trucks firing order because I just bought a Haynes but it only has the z24i diagram and the v6 I need 81 z22 four cylinder diagram. any help appreciated!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

that might of been if it was the original cap and distributor. sorry if I'm not supposed to ask in my old thread but its but getting the timing right.

Ok I put a refurbished distributor, rotor, and cap, and new ignition coil, got that timed with a timing light, and now i cant get it to idle properly, I tried letting it run to temp so the auto-choke would shut off, but when it does it idles way to high, in between 3000 and 2000. When its suppose to idle at 800. I tried adjusting the idle screw but it does nothing. my Haynes says to disconnect AAC valve harness connector, and the throttle sensor harness connector before adjusting the idle. I cant find them any were in my truck. does my truck even have them? So if any one can help me that would be great.

Note: im in cali so it has to be in time to smog.

I bet you got a vacuum leak. double check everything, every single hose. Mine did that and it was a vacuum leak. to the left of the adjust screw is a fast idle adjuster also. best to adjust that when the motor is cold (in the morning)

You have 4 wires on the inside of the dizzy? Sealik taught me a trick... you can remove the white wire and both plugs fire at the same time :D

PS, check the throttle cable. mine was also bound up a little after i removed everything to replace the head gasket. When its running, push the throttle bracket down and see if it drops rpms. if so adjust it a little accordingly.

dizzy is the distributor.

If your throttle cable keeps popping off its not set in there right. You have to hold the throttle open with your hand, and put it back in place. get up in there and look to be sure its properly in there. if the nub is in place but the cable is half off and across the side of it, it will cause the throttle to be open some, causing your high idle

Check the things i put, may or may not solve it. but check for vacuum leaks, check throttle cable is installed correctly etc...

oh ok my dizzy only has 3 e b i wires, but if there is suppose to be four that would explain were this lone wire i cant seem to find were it goes to.

I kinda figured it was the cable because my cousin i bought it from put a cheap autozone universal in and its not working out well, but I dont think mine is a vac prob the Haynes trouble shouting doesnt say any vac leaks about high idle, but does about the throttle,

It said something about a dashpot, mine had one one the original carb but when buying a refurbished one they said there only for automatic transmission, do I Still need one cause it said if it was out of adjustment it would cause high idle. well i dont have one any more.

The Z22s only had 3 wire dizzys.

You don't need a dashpot on a standard. They are for preventing a stall on an automatic if you give it the gas suddenly and let off.

You should post some pictures of your carb. California carbs can be different because of the emissions.

How did you set the timing with it revved up like that???

ok thats what I thought, cause i couldnt find any were to put a fourth wire. And what I am wondering is why in the hell my standard had a dashpot? right now I cant get any pic of my carb I dont have a camera. But if you were to read the original post after puting the carb on with old dizzy it was at 1000, but it was bad very bad so i changed it and set it with a timing light, after that it started from cold at 2000 and workes it way up to 3000 and if I stop the choke it stay about 2200. see when I mess with the idle screw it does not change the idle. Thats why I asked if my truck had/has those connectors: AAC, and throttle sensor. beacause my book doesnt not say if its on all 720 or all Nissan truck, the book says to disconnect those before adjusting the idle, but as i have stated two owners back took out alot of smog stuff because they were just going to run it to the ground an leave it. this is alot of were my problem is with this truck.And the book does not tell my were to find them, so im kinda lost as what to do

..."I have to make it completely retarded the even get close to 1000,"....

First......I would confirm that your dizzy and spark plug wires are in order.

Set your engine at TDC...pull dizzy...should look like this.

P8260018.jpg

Notice the top of the spindle is offset....?

Should be at 11:28 position.

..."I have to make it completely retarded the even get close to 1000,"....

First......I would confirm that your dizzy and spark plug wires are in order.

Set your engine at TDC...pull dizzy...should look like this.

P8260018.jpg

Notice the top of the spindle is offset....?

Should be at 11:28 position.

um thanks but I do know how to install a dizzy. I already got my dizzy timed i need to time the idle.......Thanks but you should read all of the post before replying.

um thanks but I do know how to install a dizzy. I already got my dizzy timed i need to time the idle.......Thanks but you should read all of the post before replying.

Dont go smarting off now, sealik is trying to help you and has more experience in his pinky about these motors then most do their whole body. If your dizzy spindle is off a tooth it could cause high idles.

Dont go smarting off now, sealik is trying to help you and has more experience in his pinky about these motors then most do their whole body. If your dizzy spindle is off a tooth it could cause high idles.

ok first off i was not smarting off I was stating facts. if this is what this community acts when some one is asking for help i dont think i care to come back. and secondly i see this alot in experienced people, they think they know all so the miss and or forget stuff. but thats not the point of this thread is it?. if he wanted to help he would have read what I asked not the old first post! I you know I found the problem but you know who helped best find it? you

"If your throttle cable keeps popping off its not set in there right. You have to hold the throttle open with your hand, and put it back in place. get up in there and look to be sure its properly in there. if the nub is in place but the cable is half off and across the side of it, it will cause the throttle to be open some, causing your high idle"

I was just coming to thank you because that was it but nevermind........

ok first off i was not smarting off I was stating facts. if this is what this community acts when some one is asking for help i dont think i care to come back. and secondly i see this alot in experienced people, they think they know all so the miss and or forget stuff. but thats not the point of this thread is it?. if he wanted to help he would have read what I asked not the old first post! I you know I found the problem but you know who helped best find it? you

"If your throttle cable keeps popping off its not set in there right. You have to hold the throttle open with your hand, and put it back in place. get up in there and look to be sure its properly in there. if the nub is in place but the cable is half off and across the side of it, it will cause the throttle to be open some, causing your high idle"

I was just coming to thank you because that was it but nevermind........

Oh good lord here we go

Was in response to that, it looked like you were being a smarty pants. Dont get yer panties in a bunch. Glad you got your truck running right. Post some moar pictures of it! (ps, its hard to tell what people mean/there emotions based off txt. So, i apologize..)

He's right....I'm bad....missed part of your post stating....that you timed it with a light.

Which would make my reply rather non conducive........ :D

But....many people have put the dizzy in 180 out or 1 tooth off.....which just compounds issues.

Good to hear you figured it out....usually it's something pretty simple...just overlooked

How did you set the timing with it revved up like that???

ok thats what I thought, cause i couldnt find any were to put a fourth wire. And what I am wondering is why in the hell my standard had a dashpot? right now I cant get any pic of my carb I dont have a camera. But if you were to read the original post after puting the carb on with old dizzy it was at 1000, but it was bad very bad so i changed it and set it with a timing light, after that it started from cold at 2000 and workes it way up to 3000 and if I stop the choke it stay about 2200.

You can't properly set the timing with it revved up so high. At the very least the mechanical advance is starting to work, and if it's the carb you may also have some vacuum advance added. Initial static advance should be set at 700-800 rpms. Anything else will be wrong.

I did read the first post and you said all kinds of stuff was hooked up wrong. For all we know the distributor could be getting full manifold vacuum and that will rev it up some at idle.

. And what I am wondering is why in the hell my standard had a dashpot?

Some when, in the last 30 years an engine from an automatic truck was swapped in to keep yours on the road.