Yet another 5 speed thread... with question

rbastedo

My good friend BillM rebuilt my dogleg 5 speed from a 210 and we will be installing it behind my A15 motor in my 78 MG Midget.

I've got a new clutch disc to put in but was thinking that it would be wist to go ahead and put in a new pressure plate and throwout bearing at the same time.

Can I just go to the local parts supply and get a pressure plate & bearing, or is that a good idea?

Is there anything I need to know, or can I just go to NAPA and get what they have there?

Any other thoughts?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My good friend BillM rebuilt my dogleg 5 speed from a 210 and we will be installing it behind my A15 motor in my 78 MG Midget.

I've got a new clutch disc to put in but was thinking that it would be wist to go ahead and put in a new pressure plate and throwout bearing at the same time.

Can I just go to the local parts supply and get a pressure plate & bearing, or is that a good idea?

Is there anything I need to know, or can I just go to NAPA and get what they have there?

Any other thoughts?

Check here for part numbers:

http://datsun1200.co...es_Transmission

Personally, for hard to access parts I would probably put new stuff in.

Right, that's general info for a B210.

I've got a dogleg 5 speed from a 210 - it's a 60 series box.

It's rebuilt, I've had it in the car before.

I have a Datsun engine and Datsun 4 speed tranny now.

I'm inclined to just use the pressure plate I've got but replace the bearing and clutch disc.

Right, that's general info for a B210.

I've got a dogleg 5 speed from a 210 - it's a 60 series box.

It's rebuilt, I've had it in the car before.

I have a Datsun engine and Datsun 4 speed tranny now.

I'm inclined to just use the pressure plate I've got but replace the bearing and clutch disc.

Sorry my mistake I saw dogleg and was thinking about the 63, I totally forgot about the 60L in the 210. Yeah if the pressure plate looks good, I'd probably just replace the disc and bearing also.

What model 210 did It come from? I didn't know they came in the 210. Assuming it was in a US model car?

Look it up on RockAuto and buy them. M<uch cheaper then any parts store.

In the US the 60L (dogleg) came in the '79 only, the later 60A is standard shift.

In the US the 60L (dogleg) came in the '79 only, the later 60A is standard shift.

Yes, and wasn't it only available for part of the 79 year - thought I'd heard it was just for like about half the 79 year.

Anyway, it's nice to have one and it's going to make freeway driving way more pleasurable.

Also going on a road trip this summer to Elkhart Lake, Road America.

It's the 50th anniversary of the MG Midget so a bunch of us are getting together for a week there.

We'll get to drive on the track and do all sorts of fun things.

It's a 2000 mile drive each way, so I'd really rather do it with the 5 speed in the car.

That's what 90% of us do for our 210s and other A-series Datsun clutch parts. At your Nissan dealer you will get a better matched part, i.e. A15 and A12 clutches are different. At O'Reilly's you may get a generic part which fits A12/A13/A14/A15 as well as "heavy duty" use, but they are relatively inexpensive. Whatever. Both choices work.

That's what 90% of us do for our 210s and other A-series Datsun clutch parts. At your Nissan dealer you will get a better matched part, i.e. A15 and A12 clutches are different. At O'Reilly's you may get a generic part which fits A12/A13/A14/A15 as well as "heavy duty" use, but they are relatively inexpensive. Whatever. Both choices work.

Thanks, I'm inclined to use the old one unless it doesn't look good.

I want to have a new one on hand in that case.

What about the throwout bearing - anything to that - are there good, better, best?

And what are those bolts? I should have some new ones on hand.

Last time I busted a couple of them.

Wish I had written down what they are.

What about the throwout bearing - anything to that - are there good, better, best?

They are all about the same. It's only moving when you have your foot on clutch pedal. So it's not a high-wear part. That is, if adjusted correctly. Be sure to adjust it correctly both at the pedal and at the clutch fork.

.... but it is something that should be replaced any time the clutch is changed or tranny out. After all you don't want to take it all out again 8 months later when it starts squealing and groaning.

rbastedo make sure you grease the new one, they are sold 'dry' and need to be packed with grease.

They are all about the same. It's only moving when you have your foot on clutch pedal. So it's not a high-wear part. That is, if adjusted correctly. Be sure to adjust it correctly both at the pedal and at the clutch fork.

The bolts last forever. Use a torque wrench so 1) they are fastened correctly and 2) so you don't break them. Remember, small bolts require a small torque.

Well that's what happened last time. Only we read the torque number wrong and snapped a couple before we looked again.

Just wish I had a remote oil filter adapter, I can only fit a lawn mower size filter in there right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

We had a great work party, One of the "Bill's" got the rear brakes replaced on his Sprite.

My daughter got her strut seat pan replaced on her front PS shock (Toyota Corolla) a couple other little things were taken care of and...

We removed the engine and 4 speed, put together a new clutch and bolted up the 5 speed and reinstalled in the car.

Most everything went perfectly except the SU carbs decided they wanted to spew gas from the rear carb overflow on first startup.

Since these are HIF4's we loosened the bottom, let the gas out of the bowl then ran the electric fuel pump to clear the line.

Bolted back up & it ran perfectly!!

It is such a pleasure to drive now with the 5 speed, the A15 motor with a A14 head and a pair of 1.5 inch SU carbs does a good job pulling uphill in 5th gear. It's just such a pleasant combination.

It's going to be great driving it over the Rocky Mountains this summer!