Max Temp

Jewosh

Well today I drained all the coolant and it came out a nasty rust looking color with some particles in it. I refilled it to the brim with 50/50 mixture, and let it run for a little before driving it. Driving it so far, I've noticed that the temperature still rises and falls, but not nearly as high. Rather than 200 it is only getting to around 185 or 190 and dropping to 170. Maybe it was air in the system or just needed new fluid, but whatever it was, it seems to be running better now!

Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So... same problem still. Even with new thermostat, no air in the system, fresh coolant, it still rises to 200 and then drops. When it gets any higher I pull over and wait for it to cool. This happened tonight, 55F here. I don't know what to do other than try drilling a hole in the thermostat or running a lower temp one to see if it changes things. What would you recommend?

There's ad thing I'm not clear on. If you just changed the coolant, it's likely to happen again.

So have you driven it, let it cool down, then topped it up? After that it should be good. Otherwise yes it's some mechanical problem. Poor flow somewhere. Or bad airflow. Thermo put in backwards maybe.

Well I changed the coolant a week ago and make sure its topped off every few days so thats not it. I checked the thermo and its in the right way, so then it must be mechanical? im thinking of trying a bypass hole in the thermo first, and if that doesnt work getting a 160F thermo. Would it be bad to run it with no thermo as a test?

Yes, even a new thermostat may be bad, stuck partly closed and not allowing the water to flow. A simple test is to remove it. If then it keeps cool you know that's the problem. But be sure to replace it, as your fuel economy will suffer not to mention the heater can run too cold for winter.

The bypass hole is not needed to make it run correctly. I'd be looking elsewhere. Is the rediator partially plugged? Here's a no-cost way to test it: Take off the lower hose of the radiator. Block it with your hand, and fill the radiator with plain water. Take your hand off and the water should gush out in as big a stream as the lower opening. If it runs out in a smaller stream, the radiator has blockage inside and should be replaced or repaired. It's cheaper to buy a new aluminum radiator than to "rod out" or repair an old radiator.

Blockage in the block or water pump is rare. It's possible a gasket is put on wrong or something like that, but it seems unlikely.

And don't trust the gauage too much.

174_4c15ad181d4d8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out it was the head gasket... and I have a different engine than I thought. It appears to be a 2200 short block on bottom with l16 head. Either way the head gasket went and I know that weird temperature issues can be a sign of it.

So it's a Z22 block with a 210 head!!!! That's 10.9 compression, no wonder the gasket blew. Get a U-67 head, they're open chamber and the compression will drop to 9.8. Also better breathing ports and valves.