New Datsun Truck - I want to do my body work

Hey everyone,

I bought a 1973 Datsun 620 pick up. The interior is in good shape. Seats and dash board are in good shape. The headliner is cherry.

The body is nice and straight except there's a lot of surface rust and looks terrible. Anyway, I'm a rookie and not mechanically inclined. What I want to do is go to harbor freight, buy a 5-inch DA foam sander and sand the whole entire car starting with 220 grit then move up to a higher grit, I'm not sure which ones are out there. Then I want to buy a sprayer and buy some white primer and spray the car a few times and call it a day for a while until I get some money coz I'm broke now and I have none.

I'll post a couple of pictures of my new ride soon.

Like i said, I'm not mechanically inclined and I need to take off the front bumper. It looks like I need to buy that make-bolts-come-loose spray and it looks like there's one bolt on each side of the bumper inside the fender. And then there's two bolts and two more bolts on the middle of the bumper that connects to the frame. Is that all I have to do to take off the front bumper or is there lot more work involved?

Does my sanding idea sound doable? And then I prime it white? or do I have to paint it also?

Thanks KRL,

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to a autobody shop and buy a foam DURABLOCK set and and couple rolls of different grit paper thats sticky on the back and hand sand it. Anyone with litle experience using a DA sander has the potential to burn through and really mess it up. It may take longer but really by hand is the best way to go

It's less likely to rust if you leave it alone. Sanding off the protective paint and priming it could be worse. Primer alone won't protect it from moisture and rusting. I would only sand and prime if I was going to properly seal it with paint it right away. Also there are some really cheap crappy primers out there. Just saying....

There are only two primers on the market that actually work well as a sealer also that I know of PBG DP90 and 60, number depends on color and EURO made by UPOL. Both have to be sprayed through a gun. Both act decent as a sealer with a top layer of paint but on their own will wear

all primers breakdown when exposed to UV and oils, moisture etc.... if you prime it and drive it your causing more damage than good... ppg DP line is a sealer.. it will protect the longest but still not worth the risk considering the time and money you risk wasting... it will fail too

If you unbolt it from the frame and remove the brackets with the bumper it is easier than just removing the bumper by itself, and also the bolts in the fender need to be removed

I think I could do this 6 bolts total any of them in a bad place to reach?

OICS Now :lol:

I know joke is on me what is OICS mean Dose not sound good

There are only two primers on the market that actually work well as a sealer also that I know of PBG DP90 and 60, number depends on color and EURO made by UPOL. Both have to be sprayed through a gun. Both act decent as a sealer with a top layer of paint but on their own will wear

I am lost i know nothing about paint preimer

all primers breakdown when exposed to UV and oils, moisture etc.... if you prime it and drive it your causing more damage than good... ppg DP line is a sealer.. it will protect the longest but still not worth the risk considering the time and money you risk wasting... it will fail too

I am lost If i sand it my self an take it to macco or the boys in the hood body shop to just spray it white who much would a low end price coast

Looks like i am fucked I have already started sanding it I got a lot done today.. I wish i knew how to post pix. I bought a white /rust 73 Datsun in San deigo the crigs list was in OC any way I drorve from frisco to san deigo to buy it last week

Thaks for all the quick replys

Oh yea if i buy a spray gun an try this myself to paint outside in the sun.. iam i looking for troulble. i see rattle cans job on youtube that look ok

KRL

First of all, welcome to Ratsun.

Be very careful when sanding the body. If it's not sanded evenly and bodywork isn't done perfect, it WILL show!! Primer is pourus and will hold water, so unless it's sealed with paint, your body may rust. Try not to do any sanding until you're ready to paint. Or at least use a good rattle can primer and some decent spray paint to seal it up until you're ready to paint the truck.

You don't want to paint it in the sun. Your paint will dry before even hitting the truck. Trust me, very bad results. lol Also, if you plan to do all painting outdoors, lacquer paint is where you wanna go. Quick drying, easy to spray, pre-reduced, etc.

Head over to autobody101.com and ask a few of these questions, and some of these experts can help teach you the basics on proper automotive painting. Although, you will want to practice before painting the truck. And make sure when you use automotive grade primer, that you sand it well before applying a top coat of paint, or it will look like horse shit. <<< Been there.

keep in mind that what you will have invested in materials and tools you could have a basic cleanup paintjob done my maaco or a place like that...

It will take you a year to learn to do it... it will take years to learn to do it right

I'm using rattle cans to repaint my z, its a lot more work than you think. If you haven't painted anything before, it will be a lot of trial and error. I have had to sand and take down to bare metal do body filler work, clean with auto paint prep cleaner, spray primer, sand, clean with cleaner, prime, sand, clean with cleaner, spray color guide coat, sand, clean, spray first coat, sand, clean, spray again, sand, clean, spray again, then spray with clear. I'm going for the best finish I can get, it took me about 4 hours to do one fender,not including paint dry times. If you spray with primer, you might as well spray color. Make sure you do the correct prep work or your paint will not stick. Prep and sanding are the most important steps.

I am a loser I have some Oics I want to post so I can procede on how to repair next. Is there any one I can send the Oics to this time till I learn how to post oics

I am trying to remove the front bumper /// How do I remove the two bolts on the ends of the front bumper to a 73 pu truck