A15 5speed in 72 goon

NWOleman

Has anyone done this? I want to put a A15 with a 5speed in my 72 wagoon. The reason for this is gas milage. I want to get like 40 miles per gallon. I'm planning on buying a A15 5speed out of an 81 datsun and rebuilding the motor and installing it in my wagon. The wagon has a l motor in it but it needes rebuilt or a head gasket at least. So whatever help you guys could give me i would appreciate. Thanks, NWO!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

even tho the A series gets great mileage, you have to look at the car its in as well and aerodynamics. Just because you put a great gas mileage engine, in a different car, does not mean it will have the same effect.

Will your gas mileage increase? It may some, but the 510 wagoon is going to be a lot heaver, which will mean more gas to get it going, and up to speed.

Yeah i did a weight thread on the 510 wagoon's and the b210's and from what i got from the guys on here they are pretty close in weight. As far as areodynamic's, a geo metro is pretty boxy like a 510 wagoon and they do great so i'm thinking it would still get good milage. That's my thinking, but hell if i know. Does that make sense or?

Geo Metros have far better frontal aerodynamics. A 510 is a rolling brick.

The problem I see with the A15 is it's going to work harder to maintain speed than the L16 due to the lower true HP. You might see better mileage when running below 40 MPH, but above 50 you might see a decrease. Then again, you might not.

I got better mileage with a free-flowing L18 (stock JDM L18 bottom with a U67 US head) than I got with an L16 in a 620... and that was a King Cab vs a shortbed. The L18 KC was getting 35 AVERAGE. Mind you that was with a 280ZX 5-speed and a almost too lean Weber.

Yeah i really want the gas milage but if i can't get out of my own way with that thing i won't be able to stand that. 35mpg with an l motor is pretty good, i could live with that. I have a 219 head i could put on it too. Maybe i better stick with the L. What kinda hp were these motor's rated at, the L 18 or L20 compared to an A15?

The B-210 weighs about 2,000 lb. (I would have said 1,800) the 510 goon is about 2,200 lb. I don't care what people say ... go to a scale and get the slip. No friggin way they are the same. I owned a '76 B-210 new and it gave great mileage with the A14 motor. It would have had a 3.7 diff compared to the goon's 3.90, smaller motor and carb, was smaller and more aerodynamic and a couple of hundred pounds less to haul around. You have to swap the engine anyway and it will probably get slightly better mileage. Great idea!

A15 = about 80hp. Bore is 76mm and stroke is 82mm. A motor heads aren't really famous for high flow. The round port "mpg" heads make good low speed torque, though. Performance parts are expensive.

L16 = rated 96hp. Bore is 83mm and stroke is 73.7mm. There are many more stock head options. Performance parts are much more plentiful and affordable.

I tend to agree that the A would probably be better for in-town economy and the L for highway mpg. Personally, I think the A series is more of a set-and-forget engine but the L motors are more fun to drive. I'm sure the debate about which is tougher could go on forever but I can tell you that I've been flogging A12s, A14s and A15s for almost 20 years and never broken one.

Another thing to consider is that the 5-speeds behind A15s aren't nearly as sturdy as the L 5-speeds. The MG/Rivergate guys have snatched up alot of them and made them relatively expensive. Some of the late B210s used a dogleg 5-speed that was a little stronger but those are pretty hard to come by too. Just something else to think about ;) .