What to look for in a 510.

Yosemite_Sam

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

been covered a million times mang, search function lol..

Rust, look for rust, floors, rockers, frame rails, quarters, look in trunk. Look where the trunk meets the quarters. Look to see if the frame is tweaked...

Look it over 100%, more so then you would any other car. Nit pick everything thats wrong with it and talk them down. Run it for a while, make sure it don't overheat. check to see if wiring is hacked up, rubber isn't cheap so see what kind of shape its in. Make sure everything works. blah blah..

Make you sure what you pay for it is what you feel its worth. If you always do that you will always be happy with your car. It matters what the car is worth, but not as much as what you feel its worth. Its your 510, you should love it and you should be willing to trade that amount of "scrilla" just to have it!

• 2 weeks later...

Good reading here if you want info on 510s.

http://www.the510rea...hp?f=33&t=12575

http://www.the510rea...php?f=1&t=13651

It should be required reading! Can't stress Juliane's contribution to the 510 world enough. If you have or want to have a 510, you should read this naked. It has some of the best advice there is and it's absolutely free.

Yeah read everything you can. Get educated that can not be stressed enough. Most shops don't want to work on these things you need to do it yourself.

#1 Get a full car not a project if you can. Something you can drive home would be nice. Searching for parts while not driving your car SUCKS.

#2 Stay away from (KA, SR, V6) engine swaps. Most that are for sale are not done well. IF it was down well they would not be selling it. Try for as stock a possible.

#3 rust and non-repairable body damage.

#4 Good working cooling system and Electrical system( See #1)

Also don't buy one if you don't have a permeant space to work on it. Or you will end up making a #1 to stay away from.

Come to think of it I should pick up a few failed projects and get them back on the road.

-Dime

Yeah read everything you can. Get educated that can not be stressed enough. Most shops don't want to work on these things you need to do it yourself.

#1 Get a full car not a project if you can. Something you can drive home would be nice. Searching for parts while not driving your car SUCKS.

#2 Stay away from (KA, SR, V6) engine swaps. Most that are for sale are not done well. IF it was down well they would not be selling it. Try for as stock a possible.

#3 rust and non-repairable body damage.

#4 Good working cooling system and Electrical system( See #1)

Also don't buy one if you don't have a permeant space to work on it. Or you will end up making a #1 to stay away from.

Come to think of it I should pick up a few failed projects and get them back on the road.

-Dime

Mostly very good advice except:

"#2 Stay away from (KA, SR, V6) engine swaps. Most that are for sale are not done well. IF it was down well they would not be selling it."

There are plenty of nicely done swaps that people sell for other reasons. How about a guy that built a sweet ride and then got laid off and is out of work and needs to sell the car to pay the mortgage or put food on the table for his family?

How about the divorce that forces the sale or someone moving to somewhere they can't take the car with them, as in overseas or to a place without proper storage, etc.?

I am sure there are many other reasons people sell their cars even when they are done well.

Just saying,

David

• Like 1

Mostly very good advice except:

"#2 Stay away from (KA, SR, V6) engine swaps. Most that are for sale are not done well. IF it was down well they would not be selling it."

There are plenty of nicely done swaps that people sell for other reasons. How about a guy that built a sweet ride and then got laid off and is out of work and needs to sell the car to pay the mortgage or put food on the table for his family?

How about the divorce that forces the sale or someone moving to somewhere they can't take the car with them, as in overseas or to a place without proper storage, etc.?

I am sure there are many other reasons people sell their cars even when they are done well.

Just saying,

David

Damn straight, when you buy one with a swap just take a look and see how well they did and what you think.

Agreed there are some well done swaps out there and sometime you get lucky and they are for sale. I would say this is rare though. I have seen quite a few SR swaps into 240sx's and 510's that make me think to myself "This thing is going to burn down in a month on the 101." Or the ever present turbo next to the brake master with no heat shield. I have seen these on Craigslist and on other forums. I think the thing with engine swaps is that there are a lot of little details that when over looked can really screw up the car. If the swap looks a little off you should defiantly walk and find another car.

I would like to add one more thing. This goes hand in hand with the educate yourself statement.

Have a plan for what you want to do with the car. Have only one plan and stick to it. Do the research to find that the plan is doable with your budget and resources.

Is the car going to be a daily driver?

Is the car going to be a drag racer that is trailered to the track?

Is it going to be a turbo'ed nice bodied car that will sit in the garage until the weather's perfect for a Sunday drive?

Try to stay away from the "and". like Its going to be my ITC race car that I can drive to the track and drive to work maybe one or two days out of the week.

One or two days a week turns into every day when its raining and then you get tired of the rock hard suspension and fiberglass seat with no support that you really don't fit into right. And its to load to be driving around where the cops are.

I would like a well handling street car with comfy seats and stereo. Maybe a warmed over L18 or 20 as my daily. Then have an ITC car that sits in the garage and gets trailed to the track. The 3 hour drive to the track in 100F+ temps with no vent fan let alone AC plus rock hard springs and shocks gets old after the 1st time.

Just my 2 cents.

My wife would kill me if I got another Datsun.

-Dime