Engraving

I've been chatting with J.Chimpo about some engraving....told him I'd scan some photos and post them. I'm missing a bunch of some of the cooler stuff, but this gives an idea of what I've played with in the past. The scanner was so dang slow, I just took pics of the pics...much faster :) I'm going to do the same for some stereo install pics at some point.

The big windows were done with sandblasting and hand cut resist(the masking material). The glass work was done with my high speed engraver(Paragrave) which is air powered and spins at about 400,000rpm....yes, I got the zeros right. It's similar to the tools a orthodontist would use for working on dentures or appliances outside of the mouth. It uses carbide and diamond dental bits. The wood work was done with a carbide cutter that kinda looks like a tiny end mill. The same bit was used to do the turkey egg...very fragile. The high rpms allows it to engrave without any torque steer....that pull you get when you try to do the same thing with a dremel at 20,000rpms. The mirror work is done on both sides. The lettering is engraved into the backside, through the mirroring so that there's no double image and can be read more easily. It also means that I had to engrave them backwards. The artwork is on the front, creating some depth to the piece.

The portrait of Brent Spiner as Data doing Sherlock Holmes was done for a Star Trek convention in Orlando. That's actually the first of two, since I messed that one up...the eyebrow looks a bit frosty....I blasted the wrong side of the glass when I was 98% done! :( I did another portrait of Jean luc Picard, but I'm not sure where the pic is right now. I did his image on a mug that fetched $80 for the club that commissioned the pieces. I did each of those guys because they were the key guest at the two different conventions. They called me back to tell me that Jean Luc saw his portrait from across the room and came over to look at it...was very pleased. I'll try to find the pic...I made his head big enough that the frame was just above his eyebrows.....so I didn't have a huge white area since he's pretty much bald. :)

Anyway.....pics :) If I find the others, I'll see if I can add them later.

100_4797.jpg

100_4799.jpg

100_4800.jpg

100_4801.jpg

100_4802.jpg

100_4803.jpg

100_4806.jpg

100_4807.jpg

100_4808.jpg

100_4809.jpg

100_4810.jpg

100_4811.jpg

100_4812.jpg

100_4813.jpg

100_4814.jpg

100_4815.jpg

100_4816.jpg

100_4817.jpg

100_4818.jpg

100_4819.jpg

100_4820.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work Mike,

I used to have a paragrave system about 20 years ago.

Seriously? Sweet! I can't believe I didn't know that yet.....it would have typically come up by now in one of the times you've been over.

Love seeing this stuff again Mike. Now, I want you to engrave the valve cover on a l-engine!

Thanks :) .....but I doubt I'll be doing any aluminum. I've done pewter once....way to soft....AL would be pretty similar :(

wow i really love the egg. cool stuff

Thanks. I've still got an ostrich egg and an Emu egg to engrave. I've had them for almost 20 years, tucked in a box. They are both thick enough to do relief(3D) carving in them. The cool thing with the Emu egg is that it's dark green....turns more white as you cut deeper. They look really cool!

Thanks :) We'll see if it's something I can even still do! I got the artwork yesterday....dang is it cool! If it weren't so cool, I wouldn't even consider pulling this stuff off the shelf right now!

What kind of blasting masks?

DUH! :) I completely forgot about that!! hhhmmm.....I'll def have to keep that in mind!! Now that you've reminded me, I remember we talked about it when I was up there last summer. I'm still proving my siggy everyday!!! :)

I've got an air eraser I haven't tried yet...got it for xmas a couple of years ago and I've never opened it. I might have to play with that too. :)