Turbo Identification Help, real or fake??

I just recently acquired a used "garrett" t4. There are no "garrett" stamping on it. The badge is no longer on it, although there was a place for it. Previous owner is pretty confident that it is a garrett, as he said the shop had papers to show him. Ran it on his rx7 for 300 miles with no problems until he sold his car and setup.

Trying to figure out if it is the real deal or not. What do you guys think or know?

Compressor specs:

4" inlet 2.5" outlet

.60 a/r

~58 trim wheel

Turbine specs:

.96 a/r

75 trim wheel

Here are some pictures, i tried to get some pictures with the casting numbers as well.

DSCF6274.jpg

DSCF6273.jpg

DSCF6287.jpg

DSCF6283.jpg

DSCF6282.jpg

DSCF6290.jpg

DSCF6281.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you trying to figure out about that turbo? The A on the bearing housing is almost certainly an AiResearch marking, and John Garrett started AiResearch as his manufacturing arm in 1936, but all that tells you is that you've got some parts assembled around an AiResearch bearing housing.

My question is what are you going to mount that beast onto? Rotaries typically have much higher exhaust gas temps, so they have a further expanded exhaust gas, allowing for slightly larger turbine sides (that flow better) compared to a regular old piston engine.

That turbo should be capable of making anywhere in the range of about 350-550 HP, but you have to kick it pretty hard to get any life out of it. Again, what is your plan?

Put it on an L16 with a 250HP shot of NOS to wake it up below 7000rpm... hehehe

Wanted to make sure that the center housing(the most important part) was a quality part and not a china knockoff, and that hopefully the internals are the same. The china center housings are known to fail pretty bad and their parts are just no good.

I will be mating the compressor side with a t3 that I got(making a hybrid t3/t4), and sell the rest for parts. I just wanted to make sure I relay the right info to the next buyer.

I currently have a turbo'd ka24de. Goal is around 300 to the wheels, for now. :)

My wagon has a ford 8.8 4 link setup and I will be able to run, at least 10"ers in the back. So traction shouldn't be too much of a problem. Can't wait for the fun to start.