POLL: Where to mount my truck's battery? Pleese help NAOW!!

Guest DatsuNoob

10 members have voted

1. 1. Where?

• @ parcel tray location, under glove bawx!
    • hidden in cab as part of a custom center console
    • under the bed somewhere
    • on firewall in engine bay
    • behind heater if it fits
    • make a box and mount it in the bed top-side
    • Make it work out somehow, and stuff it in the glove box area

Guest DatsuNoob

So as some of you know I removed my old battery tray in the bay since it was rusted to shit. I gotta figure out where to mount the new unit so I can determine the length needed in my battery cables. It's an Odyssey 925 so it'll almost fit anywhere (roughly the size of 2 stereo decks stacked on top of each other) I cant decide on a few locations I've chosen, help me out here. Please feel free to include any additional spots if you can think of any better. Thanks :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

Yeah, kinda. It's about 10 lbs lighter than an optima. Small little guy. Might fit nicely mounted sideways in a center console, but that means more work making one! :no: :lol:. I have a bunch of MDF, wouldnt be too hard, just eatin up a little more precious time is the thing. I could mount it between the seats for now (since it doesnt vent those nasty gases) and get to a console down the road.

Yeah man. Battery cables can get expensive and cause alot of unnecessary resistance if you put it in the bed, plus, if you're gonna put it in the bed, you might as well do an optima or regular ol' battery. I say put it in the cab. Nobody's gonna steal it there, and to find a console that sits over the top of it shouldn't be that difficult.

Guest DatsuNoob

I Would Make A Nice Box To Protect And Put It Under The Bed :P

that was another one of my top choices. However I decide to mount it means a little more weight (either in Melamine for a console or steel for a box). Weight on a truck is always best shifted aft of the cab.

Guest DatsuNoob

Yeah man. Battery cables can get expensive and cause alot of unnecessary resistance if you put it in the bed, plus, if you're gonna put it in the bed, you might as well do an optima or regular ol' battery. I say put it in the cab. Nobody's gonna steal it there, and to find a console that sits over the top of it shouldn't be that difficult.

This is true also. I'm probably gonna make a decision within the next 30 minutes cause I wanna get goin on this beeyotch and git off the interwebz lolz :D I DO like the idea of a lower cost with shorter cables, but putting it in the cab means punching out a couple more holes to figure out how to make water tight :unsure: Seems like there are all kinds of variables here, hence the poll :lol: Shit I'm indecisive right now

Guest DatsuNoob

What do you guys think about the center console idea (or just between the seats for now) and route the cables through the shifter's cutout area, secured up the trans tunnel with those rubberized hold downs.

Guest DatsuNoob

HAHAHA I lolz at the use of tie downs for battery mounts. Ratsun snuck it's way into Super Street! :lol: Those are even the cheapest shits they sell at Lowe's (I know cause I bought 'em then trashed them after a week) Spency battery, cheap hold downs, that's funny!

What do you guys think about the center console idea (or just between the seats for now) and route the cables through the shifter's cutout area, secured up the trans tunnel with those rubberized hold downs.

Well, the upside to that is that's a good way to make it non-permanent. If you do happen to change your mind in a week or two, or 10, it wouldn't be hard to relocate it from there.

HAHAHA I lolz at the use of tie downs for battery mounts. Ratsun snuck it's way into Super Street! :lol: Those are even the cheapest shits they sell at Lowe's (I know cause I bought 'em then trashed them after a week) Spency battery, cheap hold downs, that's funny!

I wouldn't do it like that. hahh but, thats where I wanna relocate my battery eventually.

Guest DatsuNoob

if you can find room why not just put it on the fire wall in engine bay, would be fast and easy. if you wanted to put it in the cab or bed you could do that at a latter date.

Meh... I dunno, I just figured clean up the engine bay since the old mount was gone. I like the look of simple and big ropey cables and wires sticking out everywhere kinda defeats that. It WOULD be the easiest, quickest way though Kelly, but I'm kind of a finicky fuck about these kinds of things :lol: lolz

Guest DatsuNoob

Yeah, the more I think of it, the less I like the idea of having to lay on wet pavement to run a set of jumper cables up to a dead battery on a lowered truck. Pessimistic or not, I have the worst luck ever, so I plan accordingly.

i never ment keep it in engine bay, i just know that tuck has more work that needs done. get the battery mounted some where and move on.

i know how bad you want to get that truck rolling, but i also know how long you can take trying to get the battery set up just right.

Guest DatsuNoob

It's actually REALLY REALLY close. Plan was just to get a rough idea of cable length, buy a premade HD bracket (saving time) and put it somewhere simple. Dont worry, I'm slow, but I'm doing other things to move forward as well. I've just had plenty of other shit going on this last week. Thanks Dad! :thumbup: lolz

Yeah, the more I think of it, the less I like the idea of having to lay on wet pavement to run a set of jumper cables up to a dead battery on a lowered truck. Pessimistic or not, I have the worst luck ever, so I plan accordingly.

+ if you ever have a friend in need, and seeing alot of your friends own datsun. you might need to give some one a jump start once in a blue moon.

Under the bed close to cab welded to frame,,,cut a hole in bed and make a hinged door out of bed material that can be opened to expose battery like they do gas tanks.Sometimes welding stores have deals on welding lead cable that moves a lot of amps.