head check in portland

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The head had air leakage past the valves on some cylinders. I put each cylinder at TDC, compression, power strike, and applied compressed air through a spark plug hole, and heard air escaping in the exhaust, and intake manifolds. I think it also had the dreaded intake valve sinking problem early L-16 engines get. Later L-16 heads, and L-18, L20-B engines were set up to run unleaded gas, and this problem of the valves sinking was reduced a lot.

I requested a valve job, and told the guy there that some valves were sunk, and he seemed familar with the problem.

I was charged $175 for a head ready to bolt on, and run. Of course, the valves had to be adjusted.

Rick's cylinder head service

14511-a SE River Road

Milwaukie, OR 97267

(503) 653-8729

Rusch Motorsports is a company that is very highly respected in the Z-car community. I have not had any work done by them. They had a very long wait list, last time I called. I understand he gets cylinder heads shipped to him world wide, for work.

Rusch Motorsports

12901 SE Ten Eyck Road

Sandy, OR. 97055

(503) 668-6805

I did have another cylinder head worked on by a "normal" machine shop, but one intake valve seat was installed crooked, then ground to fit. I also could not get the valves to adjust with enough clearance. They also charged me way more than Rick's cylinder head did.

I blew a head gasket in my 2.3 liter 4 cyl Ranger. I don't work on it because it is my company truck. I have a mechanic that is an old school hot rod guy right at the end of the block. They only work on old cars, rods and race engines. He sent my head out.

Valve Grind 150.

Surface Head 35.

1 Exhaust Guide 15.

Install Cam Bearing 25.

Cam bearing Set 15.

So, about $250, it runs like a champ. He sent it to:

Hutchins Performance Automotive Machine

5740 SW 56th

Portland, Or 97221

503 246-7144

It seems like I went to a place that did exchanges for my 620 about 15 years ago and they charged me $176 for my head.

Good Luck

The head had air leakage past the valves on some cylinders. I put each cylinder at TDC, compression, power strike, and applied compressed air through a spark plug hole, and heard air escaping in the exhaust, and intake manifolds. I think it also had the dreaded intake valve sinking problem early L-16 engines get. Later L-16 heads, and L-18, L20-B engines were set up to run unleaded gas, and this problem of the valves sinking was reduced a lot.

I requested a valve job, and told the guy there that some valves were sunk, and he seemed familar with the problem.

I was charged $175 for a head ready to bolt on, and run. Of course, the valves had to be adjusted.

Rick's cylinder head service

14511-a SE River Road

Milwaukie, OR 97267

(503) 653-8729

Rusch Motorsports is a company that is very highly respected in the Z-car community. I have not had any work done by them. They had a very long wait list, last time I called. I understand he gets cylinder heads shipped to him world wide, for work.

Rusch Motorsports

12901 SE Ten Eyck Road

Sandy, OR. 97055

(503) 668-6805

I did have another cylinder head worked on by a "normal" machine shop, but one intake valve seat was installed crooked, then ground to fit. I also could not get the valves to adjust with enough clearance. They also charged me way more than Rick's cylinder head did.

sorry forgot to ask did you have to supply your own valv seals