l20b thicker headgasket?

bredatto510

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bredatto

Ever datsun guy should have a timming light!

However you really dont need one unless soemthing is terribly off.

I would retard it to get rid of the ping or dont drive it as hard.

Most engines want most amount of adv before it pings.

try running it w/o the vacuum adv(not all sidedraft have a vac adv port on the carb). YOU MAKE SURE YOUR NOT RUNNING IT OFF THE MANIFOLD!!!!!!that is a big NO NO.

Be honest your in a catch 22 situation.

Dave on here ,Icehouse friend he had the same proplem with a LZ motor with flattops.

It ran good with race gas but he was going broke doing it. He also did the 50/50 mix as you did. However for a daily driver weekend car its just not as fun lookn for this exp$$$ gas.

ok so i loosened the dizzy and move it clockwise quite a bit all the way i believe while it was running of course at running temp and with the vacuum advance taken off... then i adjusted the carbs idle screws to keep it running... im gonna take it for a test drive to see how it is

Clockwise on the dizzy will advance the timing! Retard it.

Since there is no exact number, just turn the dizzy counter clockwise to retard (lower) the advance. Trial and error. Loosen the dizzy bolt just enough so you can turn by hand. Take for a drive and see how your adjustment is working. Stop and turn by hand and try again. Keep retarding it until it goes away or is just barely noticeable under load. .

oh damn i am running the vacuum advance off the manifold... i dont drive it hard and i dont mind that i enjoy cruising it... so just disconnect the vacuum advance... should i plug it? and plug the manifold too?... also there is one vacuum under each carb should those be plugged off as well?

Crap you don't have a stock carb!!!! This would have been good to know.

ok i retarded it all the way till it wouldnt turn on... then i slowly advanced it until i got it to turn on then a little more till there was no rough acceleration and turns off fine... tomorrow i will go to my local auto parts and pick up some vacuum caps for the vacuum advance on the dizzy as well as the intake manifold and the two beneath the carbs... thanks for the help ill keep u guys updated

plug the manifold hole.That is important

the distributor adv canister hole I just leave alone. dont need to be pluged.

Now under the carbs far as I know those are overflow tubes or soemthing. I dont think they are vacuum adv tubes.

You better be sure as I have 44mm and they dont have a vac adv port and underneath there is nothing.

I have seen some Mikunis with overflow tubes.So I think you would leave these open!!!!!!!!!

now with the manifold plugged time the motor to between 12-15 degs. then run it hard when warmed up. If pinps then then reatrd the dizzy a little. till it stops pingn or dont drive it has hard.

this will be the simplest and cheapest method to keep this motor going w/o taking the head off. By 91 or better octane.