1984 720 4x4 electrical problem

INDY510

My friend has a totally stock 1984 720 KC 4x4 with a stock nap-z 8 plug motor (I guess 2.4L???)... stock carb.... everything is stock .....

. .. and he just got it running again after it was sitting for a year

It ran great for a couple days ,,,, , but now there is a clicking noise coming from right at/near the carburetor..

When the clicking noise happens the truck is gutt-less ...... and has a serious lack of power

He said it feels like there is a drop in voltage ........ and I said my 510 voltage regulator made a rapid clicking noise when it went bad

Does a 1984 720 have a internally regulated alternator??? .......... or does it have a voltage regulator near the carb???

ALSO: ..... it seems like the primary coil is having problems sometimes ......... .. is there any way my HL510 coil for my matchbox would work???

or would my big yellow blaster coil that is for a points dizzy on a stock 1971 PL510 work???

Yeah I know there are no pics,,,, and too many words ........ :lol:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The alternators are internally regulated.....clicking sound?

Arcing out maybe...somewhere in that spot.???? Loose or broken lead? Should flash it up at nite....and have a look.

Never had a stock coil calve....yet.

You can check the resistance in the coil to confirm.

So it doesn't click all the time?

Thanks ...... I will go look at it soon ......... He said the fuel pump started clattering yesterday ........ and it was new 2 years ago

apparently it's gone through 4 electric fuel pumps in 8 years ......... is that normal??? .......... :lol:

Is there any way the electric choke could be making the noise and loss of power??? .... he said it sounds like it's coming from the carb.

Thanks ...... I will go look at it soon ......... He said the fuel pump started clattering yesterday ........ and it was new 2 years ago

apparently it's gone through 4 electric fuel pumps in 8 years ......... is that normal??? .......... :lol:

Ya...I would say that's a little abbynormal :D

Never had a stock coil calve....yet.

You can check the resistance in the coil to confirm.

So it doesn't click all the time?

How do I check the resistance? ............ it was running great for a couple days but now it clicks sometimes and will almost die, but it stays running

And then it will drive for a while ....... and then a loud click (like a starter relay) ...... .. and it just stumbles everytime it clicks

Low voltage output or no output from the alt will cause the choke heater relay to chatter. I assume the charge light does not come on?

I would check the battery cables. the battery ends and the ground on the block and the starter lug.

Next the three fusible links attached to the positive battery terminal, two Greens and a Black. They may look ok from the outside but be broken or melted in the middle.

A/ Chattering AT the carb could only be the idle cut solenoid. Check that it's tight and well grounded and the red wire isn't loose. Low voltage or a loose wire can cause the chattering.

B/ To check the coil pull the wire off the dizzy cap and put a spare plug in the end, lay on the valve cover and crank the motor. There should be spark on both coils. The intake side comes directly from the battery through a fusible link to the ignition switch so check that GREEN link again. A loose wire will interrupt the spark and measuring the coil resistance won't show this and low voltage will cause a week spark. Measuring the coil wont show this. Use a volt meter and check the input voltage and the supply (battery) voltage when acting up.

Likely a loose or bad connection..

Just and FYI, i think it was pacific coast datsun that had replaced the 720 fuel pump a few times, just to have it shit out on him again. try and find one from a junk yard, probably last longer, or get an aftermarket one. remans for stock seem to be shitty

Nothing better than a OE pump...even used...for that matter.

He said it is exactly as loud as the starter relay "click" .......... when the motor doesn't even try to turn over and it just "clicks" one time

The click at the carb is just one click ........ and then it sputters ......... ......... I will check out the idle cut solenoid... (that sounds like one of the problems)

If it was a bad battery connection, the ground on the head or the cable on the starter it may initially make a loud click to engage the starter. The sudden 250 amps of current flow may overpower the bad connection and the starter not turn over very well or not at all. The lowered voltage might also dim lights and make relays ans the idle cut solenoid chatter. The starter may also be bad but cleaning the four connection points is cheaper than replacing..