dogleg help

thisisn8n

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually GL-5 for the differential, GL-4 won't protect it well enough. GL-5 contains about 50% more anti scuff additives that are not good (in these amounts) for use in a transmission. GL-4 is the oil to look for. Try to find out if it is labeled 'yellow metal safe'.

Failing this you can run a full synthetic gear oil but to be safe make sure it is compatible with brass, bronze or copper. Synthetic is very slippery and will leak past old seals where regular oil won't. You may find the rear seal will leak so at least replace it before installing. (you should have anyway, they're only $5)

Actually GL-5 for the differential, GL-4 won't protect it well enough. GL-5 contains about 50% more anti scuff additives that are not good (in these amounts) for use in a transmission. GL-4 is the oil to look for. Try to find out if it is labeled 'yellow metal safe'.

Failing this you can run a full synthetic gear oil but to be safe make sure it is compatible with brass, bronze or copper. Synthetic is very slippery and will leak past old seals where regular oil won't. You may find the rear seal will leak so at least replace it before installing. (you should have anyway, they're only $5)

datzenmake back to the rescue... man i was content with the first answer. now ive got some shopping around to do

thanx dave. hey, does anyone happen to know if a ca18det would have too much trouble bolting up to this tranny?

More than too much trouble I'm afraid. The FS5W63A dogleg was only used with L, Z and A series motors so there is no CA bolt pattern front case for it. Also the dogleg would never handle the DET power.

I believe an FS5W71C 5 speed from an '86.5 to '88 S12/200sx with CA18ET should work. (likely also from the CA20 would work too) This tranny is going to be at least 6" and maybe as much as 12" longer than your dogleg.

A weaker but stronger than dogleg option is an FS5W71B 5 speed from an '84-'86.5 S12/200sx with CA18ET. The FS5W71B 5 speed is 5.5" longer than the dogleg.

More than too much trouble I'm afraid. The FS5W63A dogleg was only used with L, Z and A series motors so there is no CA bolt pattern front case for it. Also the dogleg would never handle the DET power.

I believe an FS5W71C 5 speed from an '86.5 to '88 S12/200sx with CA18ET should work. (likely also from the CA20 would work too) This tranny is going to be at least 6" and maybe as much as 12" longer than your dogleg.

A weaker but stronger than dogleg option is an FS5W71B 5 speed from an '84-'86.5 S12/200sx with CA18ET. The FS5W71B 5 speed is 5.5" longer than the dogleg.

right on. ill probably just buy the set when the time comes. didnt think id be THAT lucky. thanks for all the help again

That I don't know but at least 2 liters or 2.11 US qts.

Too be honest, I really hate our freaking annoying measuring system. I love the metric system, makes so much sense.

I mean, 2 cups in a pint, 2 pints in a quart, 4 quarts in a gallon? why do we suddenly use 4 instead of 2?

12 inches equal 1 ft, 3 ft equal a yard, 1760 yards to 1 mile? common

I like 10 mm = 1 cm, 100cm = 1m, 1000m = 1km! so much sense!!!

Got it. Buy 2 quarts n I'm safe. Hey laecaon, we have pretty similar projects coming along. Ur moving slot quicker than I am tho lol

haha, it would appear so. Im glad you asked this question, I am going to replace the oil before I put my tranny in. Im short just a few items.

I would get 3 qt. to be safe. Fill till it runs out and then you're good. Any left over use at the next change in 30K. By the time we get our Datsuns they've had 4-10 owners who never bothered to keep a log book of when fluids were changed so maintenance falls through the cracks. Lord knows how many oil changes were done on a car with 150K on the meter. Should be 5 but likely 2 or 3. Keep em full, change every 30K and down shift for climbing hills, passing/accelerating or towing and they will last virtually forever.