AD>>

I'm SUPER new to foreign motors. Besides doing a head gasket repair and oil change on my cousins honda, Thats about It. I Am mechanically inclined, and i'm starting to catch on. At the moment I'm trying to trade a 64 ford galaxie for a 78 620 , neat body style and I'm liking what i see with the L20B. I've been lurking around and there's some serious tuning that can be done with that motor. I'm not looking to build another gas guzzler (I got enough of that with my 70 el camino) but I'd like to build something that I can get High mpg's out of and also catch a cheap thrill from (I've seen the SR20DET swaps, but i'm not interested), Carburated would be cool, I have no EFI or turbo knowledge , BUT I AM WILLING TO LEARN! The dream is to drive it out to California then back to Texas without breaking the bank buying fuel yet keeping up with modern traffic/speed, I'm thinking it's possible. Thanks'

P.S. REALLY Interested in what was done here (what parts/mods, how much mpg after tuning etc.) >>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHUAdUFoSdM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTeoeG1kBPI

>> In the comment lines, I read that there's info on it here on Ratsun, anybody know what i should be 'Searching' for?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

crazy thought, i'm guessing a 620 maybe weighs as much as a ford model A? what if.. put a turbo'd L20B in One!? hmmm, 4 banger from the future! haaahahah, that'd be piss everyone off,, EXCEPT ME! and then leave the model A kinda stock lookin, dang!

Oh word, my folks live up in Fair Oaks Ranch, so I'm down in SA often.

I'm building a 76 long bed with an SR20DET, it's just a slow process, too many distractions out there :P

Bodywork is done though, whole truck is primered. Just need spring to get here so I can paint!

Let's see some pics of your truck please!

yea i feel ya man, thats odd, cuz i'm actually on the verge of getting my hands on a 620 longbed. the dude said he took the original orange paint off to spray it flat black :( , i woulda liked to have kept it that orange, maybe i'll go with a real hot sunset orange on the black so it can be a true candy' hmmmm, and dood a sr20det 620 sounds RAD, i've seen some stuff around with that motor, whew' crazy power'

The best MPG I ever got out of a 620 was my old '76 King Cab that has passed on to the scrap stage.

It had:

L18 with L20B U67 head

Matchbox (Electronic ignition) dist

Weber 32/36 DGEV-IC tuned to best-lean (was actually set to a 1.4L B210 spec) and a high-rise adapter (not the Redline kit adapter).

1983 280ZX 5-speed (0.745:1 overdrive)

Front end lowered 2-3 inches, but not the rear (less frontal area)

It averaged over 30MPG, and on long freeway runs would exceed 35MPG. With the stock 4-speed. points ignition, and Hitachi carb, I was lucky to see 25. The carb was pretty worn out though.

After I scrapped the truck (it had become unsafe due to excessive rust) I put the carb and the electronic dist on it's replacement (another '76 King Cab) but it has a more-or-less original-ish L20B and I haven't swapped the transmission yet, so it's still a 4-speed. It gets high 20s, never under 25. Well, it got under 25 when I crossed the State doing 75+ the whole way (I was in a caravan and they didn't stop at a rest stop that I did, took half of Eastern Washington to catch up. Yes, you can do 80 in a bone-stock 4-speed 620. It sounds like it's gonna fly apart but it won't).

• 3 weeks later...

The Deal on the 620 longbed fell Thru. Sucks.

But i did find a L20B at a local machine shop. Its just gathering dust. Dude said he'd cut me a deal.

I do own a nice 61 ford econoline van. Its nice, But Slow. Then i started thinking.

So do you guys think i can switch out my Ford econolines' 144 Inline Six motor and put in a Datsun L20B Inline 4?

The Only thing I'm REALLY pondering over is If i can get or make a bell housing that would work.

Anybody know if i can mate up a datsun L20B to a 1961 ford 3 speed on the column?

Or maybe know of a datsun 3 speed on the column?

4 Speed On The Column?!?! :rolleyes:???

I'm gonna go attack wikipedia for info right now.

It Would be really cool if i could make this work,

Mustang Radiator. Hopped up L20B, hah, cool.

, Then again, Maybe Its not enough motor for the van?

I'm thinking its pretty light of a van, hell i can push it around all on my own.

Anybody Know whats up, Let me know'

Thanks'