starter rebuilding question

Okay, I bought a gear reduction starter awhile ago, and I was using it to move the truck through tall grass and it got cockeyed and snapped the solder terminals to the motor. the solonoid still clicked. I soldered the terminals back, and the motor works, but now the solonoid makes a 30 amp short and no click, no vroom vroom.. I'm assuming it's my repair and the solonoid didn't coincidentally break at the same time. My question is, isn't the outside all one polarity and the inside the other? there were 2 solder terminals to the outside and I assumed it didn't matter which went to which but since that's all I did, does anyone know if I should solder the terminals 180 (switching them). or just switch the soloniod for one that works. Maybe the motor is spinning backwards and charging the solonoid ground when activated and shorting it that way. I know this is alot of trouble to save 50 bucks, but i'm a cheap bastard and don't intend to change anytime soon :).

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The terminal that has the battery cable on it is a copper stud with nuts the other terminal (copper) connects to the cable into the motor. Neither are soldered on so how did you solder it? Just replace the solenoid.

Using the starter to move the truck may have over heated and fried it.

The terminal that has the battery cable on it is a copper stud with nuts the other terminal (copper) connects to the cable into the motor. Neither are soldered on so how did you solder it? Just replace the solenoid.

Using the starter to move the truck may have over heated and fried it.

this is internal, outside is like normal, but the internal solder joints along where the magnets run along the spinning part snapped then got fixed. Do I get any points for being cheap enough to actually take it apart and fix it, or is there some rediculous clause about the f**cker actually working when i'm done? :) Ya, 40 isn't so bad, but maybe I just wrap a cable around the lever and pull it and jump the terminal myself :). (kidding)

in time you spend more than saving 50$.

buy another starter they are only 40$ at O Rileys anyways for a standard starter.15 mins to swap out

How about fix the truck?

L motors are EZ

Olddatsuns.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parts are on the way :) Big amp alternator, fuel sending unit, and fuel pump. Just been beyond broke lately and driving my ford into the ground waiting for a few spare bucks. Believe me, my fresh l20b is in good hands :)

you can work on the starter all you want.

But I will try to point you in the right direction first. time and working on a old starter dont make sense any more unless its the Toyota starter where you can replace the contacts EZ.

I have rebuilt alternators also but soemtimes the Diaode bridge cost as much as the alternator themselves and just tell the shop .fuck it.

Its better to ask for a FREE one from a ratsun memeber than trying to fix those things soemtimes.

I have giev stuff away FREE but find out later the guy was so broke that he had to sell his Datsun. So I wont do that again unless I see his W2 statement

Why replace the fuel sender and pump? These hardly ever go bad.

Gauge not reading?

yeah, gauge didn't read and I went to round ones with the 510 dash anyway, so I bought one, still didn't read, fuel tank was rusty, treated it, and still sediment, so I blew my electric before I put the filter before it, just got my new pump today, and my sender day before yesterday, had to modify a bit so I could use the stock top piece with the new sender. since I dumped a gallon of the treatment into it, i'm down to a 9 gallon tank I believe, so I really need to know how close to empty I am without jamming a stick down the hole :). as for the starter, i'm gonna yank the one off my dormant 280z for now, and assuming the gears great and won't fukup my new ring gear, I can grab the new one later. I went electric whenever possible: fan, fuel pump, I really don't want to be turning anything besides the tires I don't absolutely have to. Just one belt spinning the alternator.

you can work on the starter all you want.

But I will try to point you in the right direction first. time and working on a old starter dont make sense any more unless its the Toyota starter where you can replace the contacts EZ.

I have rebuilt alternators also but soemtimes the Diaode bridge cost as much as the alternator themselves and just tell the shop .fuck it.

Its better to ask for a FREE one from a ratsun memeber than trying to fix those things soemtimes.

I have giev stuff away FREE but find out later the guy was so broke that he had to sell his Datsun. So I wont do that again unless I see his W2 statement

That's pretty nice of you, i'm covered for a starter anyway, but as far as selling my truck.... i'm not buying a casket when I die, just a double plot so I can be buried in my pickup.... Well possibly my 510 after I start and finish that, but I'll always need the truck at least to haul the 510 parts. I was in the 5th grade when I got my first ride in a 510, cutting cookies on their land and just overall riding with a crazyman and a skin stretching grin on my face, and decided right away I wanted that car, shortly after that, I decided I wanted the car truck set. Planned on them being my first and last vehicles. Better late than never though :).

Parts are here!!!!!!!! I made the adapter bracket for 3" foot delco alternator, adapted and mounted fuel level sending unit to stock cap w a welded on grounding stud, fuel pump and return parts ready....... Now if I could just get these truckers to stop bringing me work for a minute, I can install them with a little daylight left. If I can't make it home before the sun goes down tomorrow, i'm doing it in the dark :) ...........It's calling my name!!!!!!!!!! starter gear off my 280z is crap.... Buying one tomorrow, it's in stock. SO DAMN EXCITED!!!!! Ummmmmmm........ Where the hell do you have sex in these? blanket in the bed huh? I knew there was another good reason to keep that ugly canope on :) won't be so bad when I paint it to match the truck I bet.