Gas filler neck

The P/O of my 72 510 shaved the gas cap and used a 2 foot long tube that is connected to the tank and cap/vent tube with gas hose. The problem is it just kind of dangles there, and the gas hose used was badly deteriorated. Anyone have some advice/opinions of what I can do for a solid filler neck that will look alright and be sturdy so that no gas drips or spills into my trunk?

IMGP8025.jpg

IMGP8022.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the wackest thing on a 510 I have seen in a long time. Must smell pretty gassy in there.

There are any number of marine use fuel hoses you could use if you just wanted to replace that transition to tank piece, but the tank is still going to vent into the trunk. If you want to go solid style with that set up, you'd have to remove the tank, drain and purge, and weld something up using your existing solid filler neck or something else that you cadge together.

If it were me I would "un shave" the gas door or do something trick out the back panel.

Does that battery have a tie down??? Holy dog balls private, that looks like a recipe for disaster! You might want to consider getting a vented battery for the car and running a tube out the bottom of the trunk where the fuel lines go in, then out farther so the fumes don't collect and fill back in the trunk. That's exactly why I stuck my battery inside on the rear passenger floor pan.

Yes the battery is vented and has a base that it is/will be bolted down to. I think the guy shaved the cap with a fiberglass patch, but I really have no clue how to re fab something that would allow exterior filling of the gas tank. By adding a vent tube do you mean putting the battery in a box with the tube running from it to the exterior of the car?

that is the factory filler pipe. The guy just rotated it towards the rear when he shaved the filler door. You can get replacement rubber pieces. I forget now where I bought mine. If you don't want any gas to spill in the trunk, the first thing I would do is upgrade to a newer style unleaded filler. They are a much better setup and seal better than the stock one you have. The dime quarterly has an article for making one, that will get you started. From there it's just about making some sort of mount, preferably away from the battery.

If I were to weld up a proper filler neck what kind of pipe should I use? And UncleJess I found an article talking about the type of tanks 510's have but it didn't really say anything along the lines of manufacturing anything, are there more than 1? Where was the article located? (the one I read was in the misc tech section).

Volume 6, issue 2 has the unleaded filler neck swap. If you go the junkyard and look at the nissan fillers, I'm sure you can figure out how to do it without the article. When I built mine, I used the factory lower rubber piece, an exhaust pipe step down section, and then the rubber hose and filler from a pathfinder. Mine would be different than yours though, because it is installed in the factory location. I imagine you could weld a tab to the metal filler neck and bolt it down in the trunk somewhere though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hazzah!! I am almost done fabbing a new filler neck that will have a support bracket and will be more sturdy and updated from the old style filler.

IMG_20101218_145706.jpg

Got this baby from a old nissan cut it up got rid of a few sections to get the right length and dimensions and welded it back together with a exhaust adapter to match the fuel tanks outlet tube.

IMG_20101227_202929.jpg

While you cant see it well there, I step drilled that vent tube out and welded in the end of the tube which had the ribs to help hold a tube on. Worked out perfectly.

P.S. I would love to buy the stock rubber to connect this piece to the gas tank.....apparently the 2 1/4" diameter hose (I think that is the correct size?) is uber rare, I think I need to/will find it on a leaded fuel era car but not quite sure.

• 2 weeks later...