Generator-to-Alternator conversion

burrito213

this is what i'm thinkin now:

horchet.png

hello all,

i'm finally going to get back to my truck soon and i was wondering if i should convert my generator to alternator. i'm assuming i would use a GM alt. because i was sold an engine with an alternator and it seems like thats the one to buy.

to validate why i would possibly do it is because i may buy a painless wiring kit to clean up the wires i currently have and i would like to run a radio in it at a later time.

i have been reading that generators are positive grounds so putting current/aftermarket 12v components (ie radios) are bad juju for the positive ground systems.

i am okay in electrical but this would be my first rodeo with conversion or dealing with wiring a car/truck. im okay if the system has previously been installed.

any words of wisdom pro or con?... all this is a learning process for me so thanks for any insight.

here is a diagram i picked up off the net:

gm1wire.jpg

this is 4 months ago:

CIMG0277.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My little bit of advise is to AVOID the GM 1-wire alternators. I have had them on two different vehicles, have not liked either one of them. They stop putting out acceptable power below about 1100 rpms. So when you are sitting at a stop light the headlights dim. And if you add a turn signal them the headlights almost flash also as they dim even more every time the signal flashes.

The GM alternator is fine when it has stock parts inside, not the 1-wire conversion. You only have to add one more wire to wire it normal.

My little bit of advise is to AVOID the GM 1-wire alternators. I have had them on two different vehicles, have not liked either one of them. They stop putting out acceptable power below about 1100 rpms. So when you are sitting at a stop light the headlights dim. And if you add a turn signal them the headlights almost flash also as they dim even more every time the signal flashes.

The GM alternator is fine when it has stock parts inside, not the 1-wire conversion. You only have to add one more wire to wire it normal.

I was actually going to make a thread on the one wire conversion but I guess I got beat to it.

You know Jegs makes a 1 wire alternator with an 880 RPM cut-in that produces 14.5 volts after cutting in until the engine has come to a complete stop? I was just looking at ordering one and playing with a conversion since my alternator circuit has a strange drain I cannot find.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10126/10002/-1

A one wire alternator has a turn on point (sometimes called "cut in", which is typically about 1200 engine RPM). We have developed rotor poles and stator stacks that carry a higher magnetism thus providing an instant regulator cut in without engine acceleration. All of our 1-wire alternators are manufactured with this exclusive low cut in feature at 880 engine RPM which is much lower than any other alternator (of its type) sold. This is the speed where the internal sense circuitry connects the battery to the voltage regulator, thereby turning the alternator on. Once the voltage regulator turns on, the alternator will remain on and charging until the engine comes to a complete stop.
Edited by metalmonkey47