carb'd ka?

The datsun kid

so i was searching google to see if a carbed ka24 was possible and found out people have done it but they dont say how they did it so i figuered id ask the datsun guys (cuz the 240 forums are all littered with ads and douche's) so i was wondering cuz you would have to get sidedrafts and u dont have to run a ecu right? oh and i read nissan makes a manifold adapter cuz they use to carb ka's back in the day for racing i just thought this would be unique! what do u guys think?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The VG30 also came with a carb.... in the middle east. There was an EI dizzy for that. No reason to not think that somewhere in the world that there was a carb KA (and not side draft either. Take a look at the KA truck intake with throttle body and multi-port injection. But I digress.... Use the KA's CAS and swap some L series matchbox parts into it or use a matchbox dizzy and modify it to fir the KA's timing cover.

This is the end of the CAS from my Z24i, pretty much the same as the KA.

720EFICASdist002Large.jpg

This is the mating drive spindle end. It was splined to make the CAS even more accurate.

720EFICAS002Large.jpg

• Like 1

Mill a l series distributor to fit change the drive gear and add carb or carbs but it will cost more to run carbs

Hmmm

EFI................................ or the sound of Yamaha R1 carbs at 6K?

EFI................................ or (relatively) easily troubleshooting a fuel delivery problem.

This...

P.jpg

....or THIS???

r1_carbs.jpg

• Like 1

If your going to the "trouble" of "de-efi-ing" a KA......... why not go with side-drafts??

I mean if you really think they are easier to troubleshoot and tune (if the carbs are new they are...if not, you'd better be as smart as an EFI expert...... but now I'M digressing)

and if you want to sacrifice the "turn key and always starts" reliability and the superior gas mileage of EFI, then go for it.

My good friend Dave tried that route with his KA roadster swap, as mentioned above the L/Z distributors mount can be modified, to fit the front cover of the KA (or rather the KA mount is modified to accept the L/Z distributor) and Dave planned to run a Webber carb on the D21 manifold, and mocked up a wooden adaptor to try it...don't laugh.... Dave may be crude but he gets it done!! Anyway...... without going into boring details on how to seal the injector holes and trying to get the right vacuum connections to work, and seal the adaptor leaks due to the HUGE mismatch between carb and the throttle flange, and all the leaking EGR crap....

Dave bought a side-draft manifold from TWM induction, put on a set of 45 Mikunis and..........

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP.....BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP..........WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ooops............... 100MPH in third gear and shitty roadster breaks !!YIPES!!

In cruse mode, in fifth gear you can punch the gas and the KA still has grunt that pushes you back in the seat, try that with a oversized Holly 250 or wheezy Weber DGV on a manifold that clearly was designed to flow air, not a fuel vapour mix.

So if your going to the "trouble" of "de-efi-ing" a KA, why not go with side-drafts??

• Like 1

Are you wanting to convert a KA24e or de? There is a sidedraft manifold made for both, but I think the e version is easier to come by. When I converted my KA24de to carbs, I made my own manifold. As for the distributor, the engine already had one on it that was converted to run without the ECU. However, it is a bit of a hack job, so I'm planning on converting to crank fire ignition (I have been saying this for a while, I just need to do it!).

The main reason I did the carb conversion is because I wanted to keep the old school feel and look of carbs...oh yeah and the sound, ohhh the beautiful sound!

• Like 1

If your looking for the reliability of crank fire w/o the cost of the trigger set up;

the OE KA distributor CAS will drive MSD or Crane boxes with an optional adaptor that reads the Nissan optical wave pulse, I cant remember who had them

(if its still available, I think Subaru's would use them too) ........ I'm sure an OE KA distributor must be easy to come by down there. If you don't want a rotor distributed spark, make a dummy cap and go CDI. The Nissan discs in the bottom of those distributors actually IS a crank angle sensor as well as cam angle, its just a matter of adapting the light wave to a signal your CDI box can read, the wave it produces is similar to the wave the hall effect sensors GM uses (and what your considering converting to) the Nissan L.E.D. system is more robust than spinning magnets. :D

• Like 1