5 bolt flex plate/spacers/bolts and torque converter for auto trans in So,Cal

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Need a auto trans for a project,please help me out! I have parts to trade or can pay cash! Thanks

If made after Sept '73 I think it needs a long 3N71B, if before it's the same (short) auto used in the '71 and up 510. Measure the length. It should be 26" or 31.5". This would be good to know befor someone sends you the wrong lenghth/

Need a auto trans for a project,please help me out! I have parts to trade or can pay cash! Thanks

Hit me up PM. I have a 3N71B from a '74 610. Needs Torque Converter. I am local!

I've modified the original post and merged the second one about the flex plate to simplify.

Yes that is a JATCO 3N71B 3 speed and should fit. A 5 bolt flex plate is what is needed here.

chopderek.... do you have the two spacers the sandwich the auto flexplate??? There should be one that fits over the end of the crank shaft end. Don't run without it as this moves the torque converter away from the transmission and the starter gear teeth too close to the starter.

They look like a pair of these but 5 bolt hole

transautodriveplatespacerLarge.jpg

Without spacer on.....

motorZ24crankstandard.jpg

With spacer on...

motorZ24crankauto.jpg

Also the standard flywheel bolts and the auto bolts are different length. I think the standard are longer and may bottom out before they can tighten down the thinner flex plate. You will need auto bolts. Sorry, thought of this last.

Another tech detail - I've swapped flywheels to install a 73 (JATCO 3N71B) automatic

engine into a 71 Borg-Warner equipped car. I remember the crankshaft/flexplate spacers

being much different in thickness between the B-W and JATCO. You'd have a helluva

problem if you wound up with a B-W spacer or B-W flexplate.

That is extremely likely. The 510 had 3 automatics I believe. Two were B/W 35s or based on the B/W. Probably from the 50s Austin automatics of Britain. Nissan started making their own jointly with Masda and first saw use in the April '71 510. The first three months were column shift while all the rest were floor shift. A column shift 3N71B would be quite rare...... but I digress.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.