which z parts are interchangeable?

Dirk Diggler

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking a thread detailing which parts you can swap between z's would be a good idea. If you know any, please post which part, the year and model it came from, the year and model it also fits, and if any fabrication is needed.

Im at work atm, so my big long Z tech post will have to wait for later :lol:

are you just wanting general info or are you thinking about something in particular?

Anything really, besides any obvious parts like lights, etc. ATM, I'm curious about a grill from a 260 I saw at a junkyard, but any and all parts would help greatly as I come across more 260's and 280's than 240's.

well with the 260 it depends on if its an early or late one.

early ones have a bunch of 240 shit on them and late model ones have a bunch of 280 shit on them.

Ill make a big long tech post when I get home lol.

ok interchangeable parts from Z cars. (this is mainly directed towards S30s)

there all stuff that are common and dont req tons of custom fab work

but this dose not cover installation of the parts ect, (not everythings bolt in) just the parts that can be used from other Z car gens.

theres also other easy upgrade parts from other cars but again, this just covers Z cars.

Motor. Trans. Fuel, Diff. et.

- all 70-83 most of the drive train is interchangeable. some exceptions/differences...

- N/A coupes and turbo coups/all 2+2 manual cars have different size fly wheels

- the turbo 5 speed is a BW 5 speed and uses a different drive shaft and shifter.

- the R200 diff can be swapped into 240z's (R180) but you need the 280z mustache bar.

- the 83 N/A 5 speed a tall 5th gear (good for freeway cruising)

- 04/84-89 Z31 turbos had an R200 CLSD with a finned diff cover.

- for EFI cars early 280z intakes are non webbed and have less emitions shit on them

- for carb cars best thing to do is grab some 70-72 round top SU's. flat tops are full of smog crap

- when converting a carbed 240z to EFI you need a baffled tank. the 75-76 280z tanks will bolt in but you must use the 280z tank straps too.

- all blocks and heads are interchangeable, just remember, if your using a pre 75 head with EFI you need to cut the notches in the intake port for the injectors.

Body.

with S30s most panels inter change from 70-78. again with some exceptions/differences...

- all fenders, hoods, hatches 70-78 fit each other.

- remember, doors will not. the latching is different. (altho if theres just nothing else at all they can be made to work)

- glass is interchangeable

and since were at it, as far as other stuff goes.

- you can use the toyota 4X4 "S12+8" calipers to upgrade the stock 240z 2 piston calipers to a 4 piston.

- theres plenty of barb style injectors from other cars you can use when upping injector output.

- all newer GM and some german cars have a squeeze clip version of the same injector plug the L28e has, since there all bosh.

much better clip design since the stock break off alot.

theres alot of little shit but thats just the stuff off the top of my head and covers basics for guys that are new to Z's

all the write ups for things like this are well covered and documented around the net.

HybridZ.org is a good place to start for detailed info on Z car mods mild to absolutely insane

(remember to search, and search well. more often than not your topic has been covered more than a few times and you will be flamed for not searching or expecting a spoon feeding.)

What about suspension? I know some Z's come with front and rear sways, are these swappable? And how about coilovers and such. Sorry, I tried searching here but with no luck.

all Z cars came with stock front and rear sway bars :huh:

suspension isnt interchangeable, thus why its not on the list.

if you have a 240 and want coil overs go over to techno toy tuning and but some 240z coil overs.

all Z cars came with stock front and rear sway bars :huh:

suspension isnt interchangeable, thus why its not on the list.

if you have a 240 and want coil overs go over to techno toy tuning and but some 240z coil overs.

For the S130 the Series 2 and Turbo's have heavier sways than the Series 1....

wtf is a series 1/2? :huh:

I bet FricFrac means "series 1" is a 1979 to 1981 and "series 2" is a 1982 & 83 for the 280ZX's (for the US for sure, I know they called S130's a 280Z in Japan :blink:). Huh. I never knew that S130's have different sized sway bars...good to know.

A little off topic, but there may be a way to mount the beefier 280ZX front sway bar on a S30. I've always wanted to try it...aftermarket ones are kind of spendy.

On Hybridz.org they have a thread that goes into all the gory details of the S30 differences over the years, but I think Skib made a really good summary in his second post.

Ya 240's don't come with a rear sway bar. I'll have to check out hybridz and look into that 280zx sway. Does anyone know if any rear sway work on the 240? It seems the search feature here and at hybridz comes up with a lot of threads that have nothing to do with your search.

• 3 weeks later...

77 810's came with a detuned efi l24, I snagged a water outlet from one to replace the broken one on my l28. Bolted up with out a problem, it has some extra sensor plugs and a drain plug but i capped it off and bolted it right on with out any problems.

you can use the glove box from a 280z , I think i had to trim a piece but other than that it popped right in.Can't think of anything else right now, but once I start working on the car more all the years of datsunism will come back to me and you can expect more posts lol.

70 to 73 us spec 240's didn't come with a rear sway bar, but the mid year and up 73 models came with the frame brackets so you can run a 260 or 280 rear swaybar. I just picked one up for my 73 240z, i need to get some new bushings and end links to install it, I'll post pics up when It's installed. I looked into after market kits but this is more cost effective and will suit my needs at the moment. 70 to 72's require the brackets to be welded on, but if you're gonna go that route an after market set may be better.

Edit, 280z rear bar will not bolt up as it's straight across, a 260z bar will as it has the proper bend to fit around the mustache bar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have a question, my brother and I swap and L28 along with a 1983 zx 5 speed into his 1970 240z. It almost fits perfect except for the shifter location, he had to notch the shifter hole so he could raise the transmission high enough to get the trans mount to line up. Now he is at a point where he is trying to install his center console and its a no go. Is there a different transmission he needs to be using? I know there are long tail and short tail trannys but I thought all z transmissions were long tail.

Thanks for any help

• 3 weeks later...

- 04/84-89 Z31 turbos had an R200 CLSD with a finned diff cover.

it's actually 04/87-89 z31 turbos that got the r200 clutch-type.  when i was selling my one-wheel-peeling '85 turbo, i got numerous calls from people offering me hundreds for the diff, so i'm assuming this is commonly spread misinformation.  also the '88 shiros got VLSD, but most are burnt out by now and (in my experience) viscous sucks compared to clutch-types.

keywords here i guess being "finned diff cover".

• 2 weeks later...