drum brakes repair

Stupid_fast

Hello, I completely disassembled the drum brakes on my 510 and started to replace one side, got the new wheel cylinder, shoes, and springs all installed and went to put the new drum on and it wont fit. I spent over an hour messing around with it to try to get it to fit and still nothing.

The adjuster is backed off as much as it will go, the cylinder is pushed back all the way, the e-brake is completely OFF.

Any ideas to get it on? I've searched and found no solution. I can try cutting or grinding the metal part of the shoes to get them to tuck under the drum.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wrong shoes? stuck adjuster? wheel cylinder pushed out too far? if fluid gets behind the cylinder it wont let it slide back in, its teh opposite as your shoes wear, the cylinder effectively gets wider so when you hit the pedal the pressure is there, otherwise you would have to pump them to get the cylinder out far enough to engage teh shoe

They aren't on with both leading or trailing shoes on one side? Usually there is a front and rear facing shoe.

I had this happen on a different vehicle. The only thing I could think of was the manufacturer used a lining that was just slightly thicker than the original. (they were cheap economy parts) If they absolutely won't go on take them back.

wrong shoes? stuck adjuster? wheel cylinder pushed out too far? if fluid gets behind the cylinder it wont let it slide back in, its teh opposite as your shoes wear, the cylinder effectively gets wider so when you hit the pedal the pressure is there, otherwise you would have to pump them to get the cylinder out far enough to engage teh shoe

The cylinders are new and fully compressed.

They aren't on with both leading or trailing shoes on one side? Usually there is a front and rear facing shoe.

I had this happen on a different vehicle. The only thing I could think of was the manufacturer used a lining that was just slightly thicker than the original. (they were cheap economy parts) If they absolutely won't go on take them back.

Tried that.

make sure the shoes are centered and the shoes centered and the wheel cylinder plunger intent

Tried that.

I'm going to check the shoes, maybe I was sent the wrong ones.