Carb rebuild kit for stock hitachi carb on an L16

I have a '71 521 that is not running right. My mechanic friend thinks it is the carb not the ignition system. I can turn the mixture screw in or out several (like 6 or 7 full turns with no appreciable change to how the truck idles. Is there a rebuild kit available for these carbs? Where would I find one? Thanks for any help.

I know i can buy a weber carb, but would like to try to rebuild what I have if I can.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The idle mixture screw won't do anything if it's not actually in the idle circuit. Most of the time when it's running badly, someone has turned up either the regular idle screw so that the throttle is cracked open, or the fast idle is still engaged. When that happens, the idle mixture screw has no effect.

I checked the idle screw and it seems to be in the right place. How can I check if the fast idle circuit is engaged?

I hope the stock rebuild is not too hellish. Any advice on what to watch out for (exploding into a million pieces) would be greatly appreciated. Even some photos of the process would be great.