SR20 into a 510

VoidDragon

Ello ello,

I'm up to my neck in a 72 510 wagon. The tranny was shot so I've decided to swap in a sr20. I've already been doing the research but I have a question or two I'd love some input on,

My goon has a (i guess) vapor tank in the quarter above the gas tank. Am I still going to need this with the SR? I'm of course going to have to work in a fuel pump, pressure reg mew lines etc butI've seen a swapped 510 with upgraded fuel pumps where they weld up all the other outlets on the tank, in so doing away with any vapor lines. Do I need this tank after my swap? Or can I eliminate it? Will I still need a return line?

Also, In wiring up a speedo, do I need a domestic KA speed sensor or will the one on the SR tranny work? I've noticed soem hubbub in a thread or two saying the SR one reads in kph? Seems like signal out should be signal out to me... as most gauges have both marked... seems like kph vs mph would be handled in the gauge not the sensor.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're doing a SR swap ........ and those are your only 2 questions???????

HAHAAHAHHA

Well, I'm not a nonce. I actually have been doing research. Search FTW>>>

I just can't find answers for these tidbits.

Everything else... well doesn't seem that complicated. Jig this. Reverse there. Wires spliced. Etc etc.

This ain't my first rodeo.

Are you planning on running a digital speedo? Like the factory 240sx one? The senders aren't different, I left the one in my SR when I put it in my S13 and it worked. I'm not sure how accurate it was though.

I would leave all the vapor stuff for the gas tank. Anything to keep the fuel smell out of the car is good in my book. Make sure you clean the tank so there is no gas smell when you weld it. I've welded a lot of them and haven't had a problem. We just take them to the car was and make sure they don't smell like gas before we weld on them.

Are you planning on running a digital speedo? Like the factory 240sx one? The senders aren't different, I left the one in my SR when I put it in my S13 and it worked. I'm not sure how accurate it was though.

I would leave all the vapor stuff for the gas tank. Anything to keep the fuel smell out of the car is good in my book. Make sure you clean the tank so there is no gas smell when you weld it. I've welded a lot of them and haven't had a problem. We just take them to the car was and make sure they don't smell like gas before we weld on them.

Not Digital per se but electronic yes, She will be getting full instrument panel make over. So, the SR speed sensor will work with an aftermarket electronic speedo?

I suppose I'll leave the vapor lines/tank was just pondering anyhoo. I don't really fancy welding on the tank... so she will prob get an inline pump.

Also, anyone know stock wheel size for an SR equipped car? Im putting 79 280zx struts on her, and I have the matching Iron Cross rims, which have 205/70/14s on them.

If your SR is out of a S13 or 14 the wheel sizes are the same as our S13/14 KA models, the 180SX did have an optional wheel and tire package but I think the OD of the tire is the same as the std package, I can check for sure when I get my 180SX owners manual back from a friend. Yes the Nissan digital spedo senders will work with some aftermarket gauges, the KM MPH thing is true for stock Nissan speedos but I cant say for aftermarket.