Looking For A Good L16 Mech - Portland, OR

Drive510

Yes you heard right. I'm wiling trade my 1977 Corolla coupe, very little and no visible rust, title available, to get my L16 4door 510 running again. The 510 does need alot of work and I'd like to keep it stock L16 if possible. I am open to the idea of a swap but still wanted to keep it in the Nissan family. Willing to tow the 510 to your place if you're in the Portland area if you have the means(tools, hoist, etc) and can provide me with an time frame pics would help too. Gas in the tank is probably sludge so it may need some TLC. Text me...619...621...0451 before 10:30pm Pacific WestCoast time for more details.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you heard right. I'm wiling trade my 1977 Corolla coupe, very little and no visible rust, title available, to get my L16 4door 510 running again. The 510 does need alot of work and I'd like to keep it stock L16 if possible. I am open to the idea of a swap but still wanted to keep it in the Nissan family. Willing to tow the 510 to your place if you're in the Portland area if you have the means(tools, hoist, etc) and can provide me with an time frame pics would help too. Gas in the tank is probably sludge so it may need some TLC. Text me...619...621...0451 before 10:30pm Pacific WestCoast time for more details.

I could lend a hand if you could be more specific

What!? You shouldn't have to trade for that! Some one should just come over and help a fellow datsun enthusiast out! If i was up there I would help but currently I am helping the sacramento and surrounding ares get there datsun's going. With neglect to my own two door project! But another running datsun is another one I get to see when I am out on the road.

the gas tank has a trhreaded nut on bottom so you can drain the tank.

The rest is L motor EZ.

get spark,gas and compression it will fire.

no gas look at the carb.

No spark? Look at the distributor or wireing or timming of the spark. If you have points look at that.

you dont need to trade.

read olddatsuns.com . you can do it!

Mklotz can get it running but give him some money

Thanks for all your inquiries. Both cars are actually in Hood River (1 hour east of Portland). I've had only 1 inquiry so far but nothing committed. My dad is welcome to show you both cars but money is something that I don't have much of, I do have a brown 77 Corolla coupe that is destined for the yards if it can't be sold or someone doesn't want it and it's actually in better shape than the 510. So instead of selling it to someone who doesn't appreciate it, I'd rather just trade it off to someone that can work on my 510. Ratsun is the only place I've posted this offer.

My life has turned upside down recently after my house here in San Diego was broke into and robbed and now an insurance agent telling us what my grandfather, up in Hood River, can and can't have is just more crap my dad and I have to deal with. With that said, my aunt wants to scrap non-op vehicles (as far as I know, I think the Corolla still runs but it's just been sitting for about 7 years) on my grandfather's place and I'm fighting to at least keep the Datsun 510 and bring it home to my garage in San Diego.

Call me up and I can fill you in with details or set something up so you can take a look at both cars before committing to such a task. I'm trying my best to reasonable and fair and hoping someone can work some L16 magic. Here's my number again - 619_621_0451

[edit] I keep re-reading all your replies. That's what I love about this site even though I'm not a super mega forum poster, I still get lotsa love. Unfortunately, I'm not able to do much with the car as I'm actually in San Diego. My dad in Hood River is not young enough to get on his back and mess with the oil pan, gas tank, suspension, or exhaust or anything like that. He gave me a new set of tires to lift it off the ground and get it rolling as well as a new set of keys made from the code and that's all I could really ask of him. The car has been in my fam before I was born and my dad bought it when he was a smoke jumper back in the day (since 1975 or 76 I think) so it has more sentimental value more than anything. I'm not just trying to jump on a Datsun bandwagon, but I feel it's in my blood having had the car my entire life.

Here's the problem with the 510: The car has been sitting in a field for the last 20 years. My dad was in the process of replacing the timing chain but after putting everything back together, he noticed white smoke after starting it up. He suspects a cracked head and he removed the timing chain from the top mount only so it's supported by the wooden shafts and to keep from debris from getting inside, he put the valve cover back on and hasn't got around to it since. Cancer (rust) is slowly eating away at the quarter panels but surprisingly, everything else is still salvageable shape.

My plans are eventually to go against the grain of mods and speed and just restore everything to factory spec, but having a nice aggressive set of rims is pretty tempting. It's just right now money is something that I don't have much of but at least I would have succeeded in putting another 510 on the road.

first thing you should do is have the car near you in your hands.

Dealing with 510 people 2nd and 3rd hand is not good.calling you on the phone is not going to do anything

I hate seeing a 510 go waisitng in the field. But if yours is rusting I would just get it runnning. do a cheap lower job ,half ass fix the rust and find some cheap cool wheels and roll it. Getting it back to perfect COSTS money.

olddatsuns.com and maybe soemone near YOU maybe can can help. But you have to set it all up and have everything ready to go. untill then I think you have to do this on your own.

as for the white smoke it could have just been a loose intake and water got suck from the water passage to the head or the head is already cracked. However if it didnt smoke before the timming chain swap and he if he did a head gasket. If he just swapped the timming set with head on then I assume the head still good and intake was loose. If he did a head gasket then smoke it could have been a pinched head gasket.

But you need to drain the tank, put soem new gas. ck for spark ,see if gas getting in carb.

all else fails sell it to somebuddy that can get it running. Meaning a person who rolls up to see it in another 510.

Many kids want 510s but cant work on them. Unfortunaly ur 510 in its condition isnt worth alot unless a fanatic buys it.

also the toyota do not scape it post it soemwhere on a toyota site so maybe it can be saved.

I'm not another kid wanting to acquire a 510 to thrash around. I do understand that a "full-on" resto is going to cost money, but it's just money that I don't have right now.

The 510 is worth saving being that it holds more value in sentiment than dollars. I'm not selling or parting the 510 and don't plan to. Weather I can get rid of the Corolla or not, the 510 is making it's way into my garage...regardless but I'm being forced to. I guess it was just a lame attempt to salvage a Corolla. I'll try selling hopefully before my aunt decided to tow it to the yards. I'm just a glass half full type of guy and though I see your reasoning behind your options, I don't have to agree with all of it, but your technical info is very helpful and for that, I can't thank you enough.