Kingpin Bushings

boxboy

So I was trying to press in my new kingpin bushings this afternoon and ran into a major issue. As I pressed them I noticed there was metal shavings curling up around the hole as it went in. I double checked and everything looked lined up well, so I tried to go a little further. OOOPSS!! The bushings have a seam in them and one side of the seam started to lean in or out or something and the bushing buckled. Now what? I am looking for somewhere to buy bushings now without buying a whole kit again. Anyone know where to get these? I have contacted Nissanpartscc, but as it is the weekend I will have to wait.

Anybody have the secret to pressing in the bushings without this happening? I was using a flat washer to provide even pressure and a bolt to keep it aligned. Should the bushing peal like that as I press it in?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bushing will often peel a little when pressing them in, reasonably normal. If you do not have the right press tools, the bushing will buckle every time. Do you have the proper size bushing ream to use after you get the bushings pressed in??

Dont waste you time looking for individual bushings, I have been doing front end work for twenty years and have never seen the bushings available separately, doesnt mean it cant happen though--good luck.

Nissan part # 40016 26762

Nissan but they may be unavailable. Talk to you local dealer. See if he can ask other dealers to look in their in house inventory. Someone may have ordered them and not picked them up and are sitting on a shelf. They'd probably love to get rid of them.

Failing that you may be able to take a good one to a machinist and have him make one from a brass pipe fitting??? They have to be reamed to size anyway.

Yeah, after this experience I will be taking it somewhere. I just hope I can find some bushings. I suppose if the bushing has been pushed out of round at all it is unsalvageable. It isn't real bad and it is only pushed in about 3/16 inch. Mklotz was kicking around the idea of doing it for me. I guess I should have just waited and had him do it in the first place. Lesson learned.

• 2 weeks later...