411 SSS on the bay!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 311 is the Datsun roadster, the convertible sportscar. Everyone knows what the 411 looks like...owner must not know how to read the metal plate in the engine comp. Can't see the SSS badge on grille, should be on the drivers side lower grille. Looked like the SSS badges were on the back upper fenders however. Poor car...buy it!

A 311 is the Datsun roadster, the convertible sportscar. Everyone knows what the 411 looks like...owner must not know how to read the metal plate in the engine comp. Can't see the SSS badge on grille, should be on the drivers side lower grille. Looked like the SSS badges were on the back upper fenders however. Poor car...buy it!

I hear you can also tell a 411 sss because the exaust had to run through the fender well in the engine bay.

Was there ever a 311 SSS? The first SSS was inspired by Ewold van Bergen, Nissan-Datsun South Africa's competition director. He raced a Datsun in the 1961 Monte Carlo rally, and was intimately involved in the development of the famous Datsun 411 Bluebird SSS (Special Sport Sedan).

411 SSS had twin-carb sidedraft engine.

11022.jpg

(click for larger pic)

Was there ever a 311 SSS? The first SSS was inspired by Ewold van Bergen, Nissan-Datsun South Africa's competition director. He raced a Datsun in the 1961 Monte Carlo rally, and was intimately involved in the development of the famous Datsun 411 Bluebird SSS (Special Sport Sedan).

411 SSS had twin-carb sidedraft engine.

11022.jpg

(click for larger pic)

ggzilla, thank you so much for the 411sss picture. I have looked alot on google for a picture of one, and this is easily the best pic I have seen.

You really can't see the exhaust pipe behind drivers side wheel very easily just from a pic to tell that this is the 411 SSS.

SSS........... MEANS SUPER SPORT SEDAN, so there could not be an SSS sportcar, a 2 door convertible. The 411 SSS had the same driveline as the 311 with the R 1600 engine and dual carbs...that is why it is named SSS.

A patrol is the early jeep type vehicle, extremely rare and I don't have one YET!

Yeah, it's a '67 from the grille, but only way to know if it's a SSS is to check the VIN plate and/or engine.

Regular 411 = PL w/ J13

SSS 411 = RL w/ R16

Now, that one has an automatic tranny. There never was an automatic option for the roadster (aka SPL311 and SRL311), but the VIN is RL, sooooooo.... :blink:

My money is on it being a sss. Tranny swap? Or did the 411 ever come with an automatic?

I've asked for more pics. Especially the engine bay! I will of course share.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.