cold start problem on z24 naps

hey guys got a 720 truck and new to the whole carb thing??

so when i let it sit over night and go to start it it just dies on me as soon as it starts. i have to pump on the gas to keep it alve for a while.. and even then it dies until its warmed up. i mean i dont know much about carb'd engines, but i know enough to know that it should not be happening.

also i feel a lot of hesitation while driving and try to get on it./ any suggestions on what it might be? thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its just a choke issue. the choke needs to be closed on a cold start to work properly, after it warms up it opens up. do what elmer said, tomorrow, press gas pedal to the floor one time, then turn it on and see what happens. it may idle a little funny, or correct, or hell it might just die again. Either way, its not to big of a deal. just a bummer :\

When cold from sitting all night, take the top of the air filter off. The carb should look like this with the choke butterfly open or mostly open:

carb720shouldlooklikethisLarge.jpg

Step on the gas to set the choke for starting. The choke butterfly should close like this:

carb720notlikethisLarge.jpg

If it doesn't close properly, spray carb cleaner or WD-40 on the linkages and work the choke on and off by hand. You may have to hold the throttle open slightly to do this. Once loosened up it should fall closed under it's own weight.