tail lights?

jnec510

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

I'd change the fuse anyway. I had the same damn problem, and at first glance the fuse looked fine, because the filament inside wasn't split. I changed it anyway, and it worked. I looked at the fuse closer and saw it was slightly split on one side near the capped end.

i do not know exactly how the tail light wiring is set up on a 620. I am going to assume it is like 521.

The light switch has two separate switches. One switch turns on the tail, and the side marker lights, and other small lights, and the other switch turns on the headlights only.

If some of the other lights work with the light switch on, we know power is getting to the switch.

After the switch, taillight power goes through the wiring harness in the cab, to the wiring harness in the engine room. If the front marker lights, and the side marker lights work, power for the taillights is also getting to the engine room harness.

There is a rear chassis wiring harness that plugs into the engine room harness. On my PL-521 the plugs for that harness are located down by the starter, next to the fire wall, in the engine room. Find this plug, and see if it looks ok from the outside. Carefully pull it apart, and look at the contacts in the plug, or plugs. If they look ok, get a test light, and see if you can find power on one of the pins in the plug, on the engine room side. Leave everything off, only have the taillights on.

If you find power there, you have to go under the truck and follow the wiring harness back, to the taillights. Look for damaged wires. If the exhaust is close to the wires, look carefully there. If you find any more plugs before you get to the taillights, check for power at those plugs with the test light. You should be able to find power all the way back to the taillights by checking with the test light.

That should get you started on this problem. If you need more help, post again with more information.

Get that battery out of you cab...Lead acid batterys give off noxious gases and can make you ill, if not kill you over time in an enclosed area...

At the very least put it in a battery box with a vent to outside the cab.

Have you checked for power at the plug under the passenger seat? After that check the plug under the bed near the tail lights on the passenger side of the truck.