DCH340 Carb Help, from 200sx

Ok so from my other thread, now im working on the carburetor itself. In short, he said he rebuilt it. truthfully, he didnt really. he just replaced some of the gaskets that the kit came with, the major ones. then left a bunch of parts out and stuff. i have put most of the parts back on that i could figure out, although i think some are missing completely. i know of a spring at least already that is missing, and i have no idea what to do about it, because i cant buy a whole carb for 300 bucks, and i have no idea where to find parts.

im hoping people can look below and tell me what is missing or wrong. the linkages seem iffy to me but i dont know, theres a video at the bottom of me moving the parts. thanks guys

Up from the middle of the two tubes, theres a hole in the side, im guessing that should have one of the little BBs in it, but it doesnt?

4125a3c7.jpg

89cd47b8.jpg

70fbbfba.jpg

6f297863.jpg

4dff02aa.jpg

2e00ebaa.jpg

824017d7.jpg

80c378b5.jpg

a4f2eb7f.jpg

here are the leftover parts, the shorter spring i dont know if it goes with the carb or not, the longer one does, and i see it in the exploded view but cannot figure out where it goes. also in the exploded view theres a spring for the arm that goes to the accelerator pump, and that is missing.

6c510d4f.jpg

heres the video: http://smg.photobuck...nt=d96db5ea.mp4

this is about all that is left keeping the car from running, and im not sure i have any options except buying a new one because of a few missing parts :blink:

junkyards wont even listen to me past "i need a carb for..."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

man if you have one all assembled, how much for the whole thing? i have NO idea what this needs, i dont know what he left out or put in wrong, ive found numerous missing washers and stuff that ive put in. i know i need the spring on that accelerator pump arm

A pox on previous owners and their well meaning carb rebuilds which extend only to the gaskets, which are almost always the last thing that needs changing. A pox on people who poke into something better left to someone better equipped to do this. There are jets and air bleeds, tiny ball bearings used as one way valves, emulsion tubes and even smaller springs. The Hitachi is a very complex carb so anything left off or out of adjustment will have effects. When set up properly it can't be beat except maybe for performance.

Take Radio up on his offer and get a known complete one. I would rebuild it to familiarize yourself with them. Then you have your old one as a spare.

being a guy from my car club, i trusted him when he said he had rebuilt it and said that the emissions stuff on the engine was all that needed anything.

shouldnt have trusted him. but oh well.

i got the whole car for 170 bucks, and id say that was a decent deal:

2010-09-26154556_Independence_Oregon_US.jpg

2010-09-261414012.jpg

excuse my butt in that pic... =p

has a hood too, no worries. pretty decent for $170 i think

Actually it's funny, I called junkyards and was very discouraged, then remembered a local yard that I get random old stuff from. He has a bunch of classics. So I went over there and found a truck with a z engine, similar carb. Grabbed a few parts, walked around then found another truck... With he l20b. What's better? It had all the emissions stuff bypassed, which is half of how this started. I bought the car needing the emissions removal completed, and the carb rebuilt. So I snagged a full carb, all I need is to grab a few plugs and it'll be good to go! :)

Best part is I know the guy, so it's all free!!

Great to see another 1st generation SX here on Ratsun. It looks like a nicer one than mine, and very much a great price. It sounds like you are getting your carb problems under control. Yeah, those carb exploded views are a real trip. I seem to recall errors even in the one printed in the Datsun factory shop manual. The factory manual is a great thing to have though, especially if you need wiring information. I looked on eBay, and didn't see a cheap one for 1978. There are '77 and '79 ones for ten bucks or so, but it might be worth waiting for a '78. Some sellers have them priced at $25-40, but you shouldn't need to pay more than $10, maybe less. Don't get an owners manual - there are a lot of those on there. You want the factory shop/service manual.

Len

Great to see another 1st generation SX here on Ratsun. It looks like a nicer one than mine, and very much a great price. It sounds like you are getting your carb problems under control. Yeah, those carb exploded views are a real trip. I seem to recall errors even in the one printed in the Datsun factory shop manual. The factory manual is a great thing to have though, especially if you need wiring information. I looked on eBay, and didn't see a cheap one for 1978. There are '77 and '79 ones for ten bucks or so, but it might be worth waiting for a '78. Some sellers have them priced at $25-40, but you shouldn't need to pay more than $10, maybe less. Don't get an owners manual - there are a lot of those on there. You want the factory shop/service manual.

Len