521 2 piece driveline and oil pump sway clearance

SRSANDS

Hey guys, so the red 521 aka "Lil Bastard" is almost road worthy. Picked up a L20 and a 5 speed trans from Ted here on the forum. Got the motor and trans in the truck a few days back and she fired up. Well, the driveline that Ted gave me is a two piece drive line from a L series 521. The truck however is a 69 J series with L mounts that a previous owner had scabbed in. When Doug had the truck the L motor from what I was told wasnt installed when he got ownership of LIL BASTARD. Anyways, luckily who ever scabbed those mounts in put them in a fairly good position for the engine to mount. My first question and concern is that the mounts are slightly too low which is not a big deal but the oil pump sit super close almost touching the front sway. The motor is nice and low and level as well as the trans. Do you think i can just fab up some thin shims and mount them under the sway bushings mounts up front? I wouldnt think it would be a issue......

My next question comes about that two piece drive shaft. I didnt have a complete carrier bearing mount so I went down to the pull apart and grabbed one off another nissan truck just to see if it was similar. Brought it home and it seems to fit perfect however I dont have the holes to bolt it down. On the other nissan it just bolts to that frame crossmember thats not too thick. The bracket itself isnt too stout either. The two piece fits perfect to the long tail 5 speed and the diff......Can I just center it perfect and mark and drill two bolt holes in my crossmember and bolt that puppy down??? Has anyone done this before? I looked all over for a one piece DL that was 53 inches but no luck so far and I dont want that to stop me from getting this thing on the road........Let me know guys I gotta get this thing driving asap so the 510 can come back into my sancuary for project number two!!!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I did on my 520 is I took this measurement>

figure5.jpg

I went to the JY and started measuring Datsun's with 1 piece drivelines. When I found one that looked close I pulled the drive line and then took the same measurement on the datsun in the JY and compared it to my truck measurement. My measurement happened to be 70" if I remember correctly. I found a 710 1 piece driveline matched what I needed for my truck.

I your case you might try a standard cab regular bed 720 1 peice driveline.