Quick subi rearend question..

matwood

Are all ring and pinion gears the same? I have a 3.70 LSD and I want 4.44 gears. Can I just go find a 4.44 R160 and pull out the R and P and swap em with mine?

Maybe weld the 3.70 non LSD for the hell of it.. haha..

Just a thought and I couldn't find anything on the forums or on the net.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ring an pinion will need to be set up by a competent shop. You can't just bolt them in an go. No two diffs are the same and are made to a +- tolerance. It is easier and cheaper to set the gears individually. The pinion must be centered forward and back and the ring gear side to side. These are set using micrometers and dial gauges with shims and crush washers selected to get the correct 'gear lash'. The drive force could end up on the outer tips of the gear teeth or to the inside or outside of the teeth where they are not the strongest. Get it done right.

cool, thanks mike. finding a competent shop around here will be the next big challenge for me. what kinda price do you think i'd be lookin at for just swapping the R and P, maybe cleaning things up too?

I did a swap in my Z a couple years ago. Had unitrax here in So Cal set it up for me. Went from a 4:63 to 4:38

all new bearings and install was about $400.00