Burnt plastic-y smell

KrazzyKevin

Hey guys, I've got a bad burnt plastic-y smell coming from around the catalytic converter of my truck. I noticed it yesterday, but didn't pay much attention to it. I just assumed it was the car in front of me or something. But I noticed it again today so I decided to hunt around for it. It's definitely not coming from under the hood. Nor is it coming out the tail pipe. It's most noticeable from the sides of my truck, right where cab meets bed. So, I crawled underneath and found this goopy black shit coming out from in front of, and behind the catalytic converter. I scraped some of it off with a stick and smelt it, and that's definitely what I'm smelling.

I assume that it's some sort of gasket that's melting? What would cause it to suddenly melt? I haven't done any modifications to the exhaust recently, or at all for that matter.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is your cat clogged :huh: ?

getting red hot ?

low-temp RTV stuck between the pipe/cat joints ? :unsure: ( wrong temp range ? )

NismoDr ^^^ I ollz at your sig :D

I don't know if it's clogged or not. I haven't noticed a reduction in performance, I assume I would if it were clogged?

It's hot, but not any hotter than the rest of the exhaust, as far as I can tell.

And I have no idea about the RTV, like I said, I haven't had any work done on the exhaust, and it just now started doing this.

Negative on the plastic bag. That's what I assumed first too. But this is definitely coming from between the cat and the exhaust pipe, and like I said, looks like a gasket is melting.

Here's a pic: Note the black stuff. that's what I'm smelling.

CIMG0126.jpg

Hmmmmmm...

Your vehicle cross any borders recently?

:D .... :lol:

upinsmoke.jpg

• 1 month later...