Ignition key switch stuck 'On'

510Finn

Hey Ratsuners

I'm sure someone has done this, but wanted to find out what options do I have.

I was working on my '72 Dime and put the door lock key in the ignition, and somehow I ended up turning the key to the 'On' position. I then pulled the key out, and realized that I used the wrong key. I tried to use the wrong key again to turn the lock and am afraid the key will break off inside the lock, so don't want to risk it. Of course, the correct key will not go into the lock cylinder as it cannot be pushed in fully.

So, do I have to get a new lock and key? Or can I remove the ignition lock and take it to a Locksmith to fix? How much might it cost to fix this? Or should I just buy one or get a full ignition key and switch from a donor vehicle?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you fully, but I had to get a new set of keys made for my 510 when I first got it(It had none), and had to mess around with the ignition and tumbler(where your key goes into) quite a bit. It's hard to explain, but I became very familiar with the device, and would be able to take it apart again and put it back together for whatever reason, if need be.

It's fairly simple to remove from the column, and disassemble without doing irreversible damage. I'm confident that if you were to take the tumbler out, and turn it back to where you could get the correct key back in, you'd be back in business.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah! Easy. Take it apart. The key isn't going all the way back to the ignition switch, (since it's the wrong key, don't know how it got back there to start it.) You just need a phillips and some needle nose. Sounds like you have some tumblers sticking. So WD40'd come in handy, too. The ignition switch is sketchy, easily stuck in "on". You can totally figure it out. Take it apart, carefully, so you remember how to put it back together (it's like a logic puzzle). Clean everything and put it back together. Get some key covers to distinguish between the door and ignition keys and biggedie bam!

• 1 year later...

This thread was very helpful. I used a new key cast from a spare key and used that as my replacement paired with a graphite lock spray.

Switching the key from LOCK or OFF to ACC and ON back and forth; forth and back. The spray helped a bunch, motion is fluid. Discovered my original key to be worn down at the tip, both new keys straight to a point.

you will most likely need to have a locksmith fix the damage. my dad did the same thing one time with my car...he jammed it in there good...after about 10 minutes of careful wiggling, prying, and turning, I was able to removed the door key. I used cleaner on the ignition lock cylinder and then graphite lubricant. I was lucky, and while the key is not as smooth, my lock is still nice and functional.

I have the lock cylinders from a newer 510/stanza, as well as a newer lock cylinder that I will have re-keyed to take the same combo...but that is after I spend the money to buy new window seals so I can start driving my wagon again.

When I purchased my 71 the ignition switch was stuck "on" as well. Take the ignition switch off the colume and take it apart.

Get the right key and you can fix it. I have some photos on here....I think the thread title is "keys"

• 2 months later...

hahaha my wife did this to my dime, as i sat in the passenger seat bleeding from the bone deep cut in my hand. I was sooooo pissed . i ripped out the wiring, hot wired the car, and drove myself to the e.r. when i was able to use my fingers again..... i took the lock apart and reset the tumblers... works great now