Won't start

uieluck

I have fixed this problem:

http://www.the510rea...hp?f=32&t=14802

I have put a 1982 720 Pickup alternator with an internal voltage regulator in the goon'r. The car ran great for almost 2 months, however I let it sit for about 1.5 week(s) or so without starting it. Now when I try to fire it up, it acts like it has a dead battery. It has a strong pull on the first 4 cranks or so. Then the sounds of a laboring battery start to appear. Also the battery is new, so it's unlikely that. It's just weird to me,, everything ran fine for a while without any problems,, and now I'm dead again. It's almost like the new alternator isn't getting enough power from the battery,, or vice-verse. Hell, I could be outta gas?!!!! This is probably a simple fix just like the last problem, however I'm mechanical retarded. Ideas?? Thanks, T—

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like something is draining the battery while it sits. Can't be much or it would be dead. Hard to test for.

Take the battery cable off... either one, to break the circuit. Next time you start it up re-connect it. If it still does it then the battery is likely bad. If that fixes it then you have a very slight draw all the time. Some things on the car have power all the time regardless of the ignition switch. These are the brake lights, headlights, marker lights, horn, interior light, clock and horn. If you have a stereo be sure it is wired through the ignition except for the one hot lead to keep the clock and memory functioning. Be sure the amp is also shut off with the key.

This may sound dumb, but check the voltage coming from your alt, if it's way high it could fry your battery, and cause it to not hold a charge. Or like the guy above me said, the battery could be bad, not all brand new ones are good, I've bought several brand new ones that didn't work very well, if at all.

Is it just me or are cars confusing? Don't get me wrong, I wanna learn baaaaaad, but geezus I am such a rookie mechanic. I tested the battery it's: 474 out of 525 (loaded),, so that should be pulling enough to fire this bad boy up, right? Could the starter be drawing too much juice? I have also disconnected the battery cable to break the circuit and when I reconnected it, nothing, so I'm pretty sure nothing is draining the battery. But is there a way to check this 100%? I have a voltmeter (but I have no idea how to use it). Believe it or not this is my 4th 510 who would think (considering how mechanically green I am).

Also, on the master mechanic side of questions. Currently I'm finishing my Master's in computer mumbo jumbo, however once I'm done I'm considering on going to a tech school to learn auto mechanics (not for a career perse) does anybody have another suggestion how I can/could become a whoopin ass mechanic?

Is it just me or are cars confusing? Don't get me wrong, I wanna learn baaaaaad, but geezus I am such a rookie mechanic. I tested the battery it's: 474 out of 525 (loaded),, so that should be pulling enough to fire this bad boy up, right? Could the starter be drawing too much juice? I have also disconnected the battery cable to break the circuit and when I reconnected it, nothing, so I'm pretty sure nothing is draining the battery. But is there a way to check this 100%? I have a voltmeter (but I have no idea how to use it). Believe it or not this is my 4th 510 who would think (considering how mechanically green I am).

Also, on the master mechanic side of questions. Currently I'm finishing my Master's in computer mumbo jumbo, however once I'm done I'm considering on going to a tech school to learn auto mechanics (not for a career perse) does anybody have another suggestion how I can/could become a whoopin ass mechanic?

throw the volt meter on there and check it with batter disconnected, see what the battery reads. If anything else, take it to napa and drop it off, they will charge it over night and test it in the morning to see if its a shitty battery. They do it for me, free.

as to the "whoopin ass mechanic" read read read read read read read read, then go do it, read some more, do some more, ask lots of questions along the way. Hands on is best, along with reading. Dont forget to read :D

throw the volt meter on there and check it with batter disconnected, see what the battery reads. If anything else, take it to napa and drop it off, they will charge it over night and test it in the morning to see if its a shitty battery. They do it for me, free.

as to the "whoopin ass mechanic" read read read read read read read read, then go do it, read some more, do some more, ask lots of questions along the way. Hands on is best, along with reading. Dont forget to read :D

Nope nope,, I had the battery tested. They would charge it, if it needed charging.

Thanks, T—