521 redo/finishing touches

.sunlover

Feel a bit annoying since I'm almost the only one posting in this, but it's nice being able to just say check my project thread when someone is about to do something I've done, and they can have all the detail they might need without me having to repeat myself or really answer any questions.

Looks like the vibration that was snapping my bottom bolts of my alternator was coming from my 1/4" spacers on the bottom and the main part for my adapter bracket. I got the bottom spacers welded SOLID and drove it for the longest time yet trouble free, but the vibration was still there, so this time it broke my tensioner bracket at the timing cover flush with the block..... tore it down, bought a welder to try to weld a nut to the broken bolt, and I guess my welder wasn't hot enough to bond the metals,

2011-09-24171616.jpg

beside the fact it was a hard ass angle to weld into. Next step, centerpunch and drill since I'm going to go with a 3/8 grade 8 replacement bolt so I don't have to repeat this EVER. Not fun tearing a fresh motor apart.

2011-10-16152230.jpg

That was the plan until the drill bit snapped without warning flush with the block. can't weld the gaps and centerpunch it again, it was a quality drillbit I got nothing to drill through that with, just have to make the tensioner work on the bolt above the broken one, and silicone the gasket, hope it doesn't leak unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Oh by the way, I opened the door and heard something clang and drop out, found this

2011-09-26112243.jpg

and my drivers door doesn't work anymore. looks like an easy fix, but again not what I want to do with my spare time. I want to mount the airbags and my mtx 10" under my seat w my amp, trade stereo's with the ford get my tonneau cover/canope done, and figure out the slider rear window. This shit all feels like i'm going backwards. Oh yeah, I also want to get whisper quiet exhaust, fine tune my carb, and figure out why when I'm foot to the floor for more than 30 seconds it feels like the float bowl has no gas.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the build man :cool: ... Neat 620 man !!!

Whats wrong with drivers door ? ,,, spray latch (inside door) with a little PB Blaster ,,, they are dry as a bone !!!

ollz, errrrr, sold the 620 in '02, the 521 needs that piece to open the door from the outside. I went with white lithium to free up the doors and windows, doesn't evaporate off.... Ever. PB gets em moving, but needs a chaser, just like JD :)

• 1 year later...

Ready to have your head spin from some oic free chaos? Well, I drove it daily until 11/12. Overheated the shit out of I the next day after switching to a fiero one and having my belt break without a working temp or alt sensor. Was broke down in a towing ready parking lot with a split down the center radiator that was empty, so I did the only thing I could do to keep my shit. Topped the radiator and just cranked over the motor. (Run on sentence breaker). Then, I walked to the closest parts store, texted my girl with my nearly dead phone, asked her to look up my Datsun pics n find the size code for my custom alternator, it was a bad pic, but I figured it out, bought the belt at the second store, bought the gauge cluster from the first. Installed the belt, left the cap off the radiator,topped it till it was leaking bad, and drove it home 5 miles or so, hot as fuck and billowing steam. (Blown head gasket). Changed the radiator and topped it, before i went to bed. Went to work hoping for the best. Next day, driving to work, steam coming out the exhaust that I tried to pretend was from the cold, It overheated baaaaaaad, it was turning over unevenly, wouldn't start, and I pulled the plugs, wiped them off, cranked it a few times to let the water splash out, put the plugs back in, topped the rad, n got it to kinda run... I'm on the side of the freeway (205) right where 84 merges and edge out waaaay slow..... Battery dying n I'm kinda drunk, to be continued, charging n if I passout, I'll finish tomorrow night....

....so, Im driving to my work and my tools, steam billowing from everywhere, engine whistling, barely enough power to make it up the offramp, and shut it down when I'm pointed into the shop, roll in whistling, and sizzling. Work was understanding, they let me do the head gasket, and I rolled out of there, engine happy and purring.

Over the next week, my oil pressure dropped, and I got an oil pump. I lost the timing when I changed it, I'm guessing that's when I blew my head, trying to start it out of time, because it sounded half dead, and would barely move itself, literally. I pulled the head back off to have it surfaced, they didn't shim the can towers, I couldn't find shims anywhere,slapped it back together. Oh, sometime in there I pulled my oil pan and found a shit ton of bearing shavings. The heads cracked somewhere, because it was running almost as bad after I finished. I found a running l20b I had to pull, and did the swap.

Damn, they are weak when they're tired and stock. The oil pressure was weak too. I drove it for a couple days and my 2 month old alternator had my battery at 18 volts, blew my headlights, then quit charging.

I didn't trust it going anywhere far with low oil pressure anyway, so I got ahold of kazi and bought a closed chamber head planning to do the bearings too, and get flattop pistons, then he finds a l18 complete, flattops, ported closed chamber head, sss cam w a regrind, lightened flywheel, just 15000 miles on it, so we go pick it up. I'm stoked, and waiting for my replacement alternator, just a clutch set, and a few odds and ends I have laying around and I'll throw it in :-)

Just to let you know some people read your thread early in the morning, when the dog wants out.

Well, sorry for the suspense then, good to know people are reading this. I didn't get many oics, but I'll load what ice got sometime today.

• 1 month later...

Aaaaaaand, its temporarily hibernating, waiting for me to finish the new to me backup 720 which should happen this week, and back on the road with it and its replacement alternator. I'll do the motor swap in a few weeks and start a thread for my 510 finally.

• 2 weeks later...

Im still gathering for it, I'd like to just drive it for 60000 mi

Es just changing oil, but I'm keeping it, so I need to get it from 95% perfect for me, to 100%. I know that many of yo wouldnt think my truck is even close to that, but I'm a weirdo, and will take smokescreen over power windows any day.

IMG_20130305_094622.jpg

Found scrap bump stops, and material to make a rigid tonneau cover co I can walk on it, and put a roof rack on the bed.

IMG_20130305_163430.jpg