Exhaust

Zeusimo

So I Bought A 620 A Few Days Agobiggrin.gif

Went To The DMV To Register It To My Name And They Told Me I Have To Smog It angry.gif

Which Made Me Worry Because The Truck Doesn't Have A Cat unsure.gif

But Anyways The Pipes Are Sort Of Rusted, Muffler Has A Small Hole From Rust And Thought Of Redoing All Exhaustsmile.gif

I Can Make My Own Headers But I Was Wondering If 2 1/4" Is Too Big? Or Should I Go With 2"?

Anyone Know Of A Nice Muffler That Sounds Beefy But Not Loud And Obnoxious?

I Was Thinking About Getting A High Flow Cat From Magna-flow And A Flowmaster 50 Delta Series Muffler?

Opinions? Comments?cool.gif

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bigger the muffler the quieter it will be. Go looking for large vehicle applications, so you can get a larger input/output, but also a large dimensional muffler. If you search summit you can find a muffler that looks like the stock round canister muffler, but is larger with larger internal pipes. It's much nicer to cruise with a quieter ride. You'd be amazed at how much better the stereo works too.

To get through the immediate gate, go to your auto parts store and buy a "Muffler Mender" kit. It comes with high temp silicate compound and fiberglass tape. Seal the current obvious holes and cracks in the muffler and header down pipe and get your smog test. If you can't pass smog, why spend too much money up front?

With a shitty exhaust manifold and a cat 2 1/4" should be fine but its never really necessary for a street rig. The trucks are cool because you have a few feet of pipe after the muffler which quiets it up considerably. I have 2 1/4" and a borla on my truck and it is waaaay quieter than my 510 with 2" and the same borla at the very end. Borla or magnaflow are great.

so, on a budget, the cheapest highest performance muffler available is a straight through style non-louvered glasspack. I have made several posts explaining the benefits of this style of muffler, mainly that they are the best flow and horsepower and also one of the cheapest styles of muffler.

2.25" pipe or 2.5" pipe would be all you would ever need for performance.

To reduce noise and get the deepest tone out of a 4 cylinder, I recommend using a long (24"+) glasspack down the center of the car, and one 12"+ glasspack just before the tailpipe.

look up some of my other posts for more information.