What kind of tranny is this?

Murtada

Hey everyone! I'm a newbie on there just got my first Datsun two weeks ago, I just bought an L20b and the guy gave me the transmission for free. The engine is out of a 1975 620 but the transmission I'm not sure of. Is there anyway based on the picture that anyone can tell me what kind of transmission it is? The only visable numbers on the transmssion I see are L8 and 718618 I don't see any other numbers on it. I would also like to know whether this transmission would fit in my 2 door 510 or will it require any modifications? Thank you for anyones help in advance!

510tanny.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

510tanny.jpg

L series FS5W71B 5 speed, nice! for free. Could be from a '77 620 truck but not later. Also possibly the '77-'79 280z or zx. (they are the same) or a '79 810. Definitely not made after '80.

If you want a guess I would say a '77 620 or 280z. Often it's easier to say with certainty what a transmission isn't.

Oh thanks guys! looks like I got a better deal than i thought lol the L20B had the U67 head which I was told is the better of the stock heads too. So the next question is other than having the drive shaft shortened will I have to do any other modifications for this to fit into my 2dr?

The earliest L20Bs ('75) sometimes came with A-87 heads but up till '78 were all U-67 heads. The U-67 is a hair better but essentially a stock head for the L20B.

looks like a 280 tranny with the mount only reason i say that is ive pulled one like 12 times for a guy think it was a 76 or later cant remember

I thought it looked somewhat like a truck mount. The 280z/zx were like this: (ignore the tranny)

transphatdaveunknownZtransmaybeMaxi.jpg

..... So the next question is other than having the drive shaft shortened will I have to do any other modifications for this to fit into my 2dr?

The tranny mount will need to be modded because the longer one is further back. I think I have a picture of one for a 510, I'll look when I get home from work. The shifter hole will need to be moved back several inches.

The tranny mount will need to be modded because the longer one is further back. I think I have a picture of one for a 510, I'll look when I get home from work. The shifter hole will need to be moved back several inches.

That would be greatly appreciated and helpful if you had that picture please!