1987 Montero swb 5 speed turbo project

Here's a recap on my build that I hadnt posted on the site.

I managed to move the tero out n put on the rear wheels and get it turned around and the garage reorganized a little in prep for the engine swap. Crappy iphone pics. I also snagged the roof rack that came with my mitsu van that I had taken off and did a quick test fit. looks like she will fit nicely. Now I need to grab a rack top.

montero06.jpg

montero07.jpg

montero08.jpg

montero09.jpg

montero10.jpg

------------------

Engine is out. Trans should come out tomorrow. I just hate automatics too much to keep one in. They are such a mess when pulling the radiators, trasn etc..

So tomorrows plans. Drop the trans then sneak the raider into the field near my lancer, bring my turbo engine over from the other garage/ Start swapping parts, and hopefully get the oil pickup tube welded in and maybe even the turbo shortblock dropped in by tomorrow wiht the manual trans.

I'll probably hold off putting the 2nd gen sr air locker in until I have the vehicle up and running

---------------------

I got the 2 engines tore down. Funny whoever did the bsek on this raider engine forgot to install a oil pump chain guide. Anyhow I scored the new timing componets, and the pickup tube n pan off it, and im just gonna send th rest to the scrapper.

I'm going to head over to my friends and cut the quest pickup tube, but I am having a brain fart on the length I need to extend the tube. Icould swear it was 1 inch, but I need to do a bit of reading. With any luck I may have the bottom end back together tonight, but probably ont. I have a feeling there is gonna be a lot of drinking ahead.

------------------------

Well after a bunch of crappy welds grinding and some more welding my montero pickup tube is back to what it was before I hacked it up. bsek is in, oil pump mounted. Timing cover is going on shortly, and as soon as I put on a new rear main seal, the timing cover will go on and she will be ready to drop in. Before I do that I still need to wheel the thing back into the garage and drop the automatic trans and get the manual fitted.

---------------------------

A few coors and some determination and the auto trans is out. I didnt even cut anything this time. The stock transfer case mount was shot. Forgot to take off the 4x4 shifter knob. WHOOPS lol. Anyhow, it's ready for the 5 speed insertion. That might happenthis week. I have a busy day of working on some other cars, so we will see. I'll upload some pics of the poor thing tomorrow.

-----------------------------------

I havent updated in a bit. I've been collecting parts and camping, so I havent had much progress, and then we had quite a heat wave, with high humidity, so I didnt want to go into the garage.

I managed to put new seals in the 5 speed, and it's almost ready to go in. I want to clean tehg rease off the crossmember first. Which requires me to drain the 7 gallons of purple power out of my solvent tank and add the good stuff my friend picked up for me, or maybe I will just toss some in a bucket. Probably the later.

I managed to find a 5 speed 83 montero at the jyard the other day and snagged most of the 5 speed stuff off it. I picked up pedals, clutch master and line, block off plate for the auto, pulled the front drive shaft but didnt buy it yet. I want to make sure the entire driveshaft lengths are different and not just the yokes. at 32 bucks a piece I dont really want to freaken buy one if I dont have to.

I'm going back tomorrow for the lock set, and any other tidbits I still need.

I'm also waiting on a clutch disc to come in. Hopefully it will b here tomorrow so I can get the trans and engine in. We are suppose to have cool weather for a bit so I sshould get my butt into gear and get the clutch pedal holes drilled and the pedal installed and a lot of other crap.

-------------------------

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A little bit of n update. I installed a throwout bearing, and got the engine in and actually bolted all up.

I'm not sure aboutt he throwout though. It was a starion one out of a old clutch kit I bought and didnt use. I noticed its probably an 1/8th shorter than the stock montero one that came with my montero transmission. I would have used the montero one but it was shot, and I didnt feel like waiting to try and special order one. At worst I think I may have to make the clutch rod adjustable.

Anyhow, this was one of the easier times I;ve had getting the engine onto thet rans while in the car. Got her bolted in and did a little cleaning to the engine bay. I still have quite a bit of cleaning to do.

I started working on the holes for the firewall, but 2 crappy harbor freight hole saw bits later I have flat teeth and partial proress. This has to be the easiest mitsu I've done a 5 speed swap on but the hardest firewall to drill though lol. I need to go secure a few more bits. Maybe get the gf to help me by driping oil on it constantly.

montero12.jpg

montero13.jpg

montero14.jpg

I took a break and took this weird kayak my dad bought out to the local creek the other day. Was fun, couldnt make it too far one way or the other due to low water but it's quite stable with these side pontoon things.

shaun-kayak.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well I didnt make as much progress as I hoped to, but I did get the pedal and master mountedm and I also chased the block headbolt threads to get it prepped for the top end.

Looking at the auto brake pedal. I might just leave it in the car, Might be easier to do some fancy clutch throttle brake work. I'm going t try it and then decide since I have the manual brake pedal as well.

montero17.jpg

montero18.jpg

--------------

I made some good progress tonight.

Starter installed

clutch line installed

ac brack and ac compressor installed

starion squash plate removed and cleaned.

front driveshaft installed

Carb harness removed and grommet cut off

Did a little more cleaning on the engine bay.

Installed a new valve in the head and lapped it

installed both manifolds.

Tomorrow I need to go buy a new oring for the squash plate, bleed the clutch and make sure the throwout bearing I installed will work. Fiund another starion os pump with resivoir and install, and then hopefully install the top end. I need to go buy some wire for the power and fuel pump also.

Hopefully I willg et a rear driveshaft soon. Would suck to get it running and have to drive it without the rear ds lol.

-------------

Well, I had been taking pictures with my camera because I hate the iphone camera, but I lost my damn card reader so more iphone pics with tons of sharpening to remove the blur it is lol.

Found a filter at baxter that fit perfectly int he stock location. apparnetly it is off a 88-92ish caravan. I picked up some good ol 300psi fire resistant fuel line from oil filter service. 4 feets was a whoppin 4.57 or so. Cant beat that. Go try and buy weaker fi line from a store and you will be paying around 8bucks a foot. Only problem is this crap doesnt stretch lol. I'll try and post the part number up later for the filter if anyone is interested.

montero19.jpg

I got tired of having the top end laying under the rig so I tossed it on today. I figure it will only make it slightly harder to do the rest of the things I need to do. Complete with a cash for clunkers caravan mitsubisih valve cover. Thats just on there because I was playing around with intercoolers. Gonna get cleaned and polished bfor it goes on.

montero20.jpg

montero21.jpg

Decisions.... I'm not gonna run the nice custom one off ic in the back, might use the eclipse ic or possibly the starion, or more likely for now, no intercooler.

montero22.jpg

slowly getting some stuff done, I took a break the last few days. I about have the fuel pump mounting situation figured out. I'm not sure if I want to mount it on that crossbar between the tank and axle though. Not sure if I will have any issues if I go sinking the rig in deap mud or water.

I somehow forgot the damn heater core line for the engine before I put the head on, so I had to work that piece in, not very fun.

I also found my torque wrench and torqued the head down.

I have to go buy a bunch of random stuff tomorrow. I wanan get some ford 4.6l injector clips, a few mroe hose clamps, clutch slave cylinder, and wire for the ecu and fuel pump power.

I'm also waiting for my turbo and oil cooler lines to come in. I'm hoping to get the wiring harness installed tomorrow, along with the power steering pumjp with a mod, fuel pump, and whatever else I can do while I am waiting for parts. I may get the radiator installed.

• 3 weeks later...

well, after waiting on parts for god knows how freaken long they are finally in. Getting them tomorrow. Turbo, oil cooler n some other misc crap. I'm going to try and get some work on the beast tomorrow. I bought some aisin manual locking hubs today, so more mods for the rig :)

I probably wont get aroubnd to installing the locker until later in the year. Hopefully before it snows.

I wouldnt mind finding a set of 10inch wide enkeis

• 3 months later...

I havent updated this in quite some time but it's bascially done. I have 2 issues right now, varnish n the fuel tank is very bad and my pump is only pumping about 1 tgallon every 6 minutes. So the fuel lines and tank need some serious cleaning. I also have to fix a power wir for the start powr on the ecu. Other than that its ready to drive.

I love this truck, everytime i check this thread i go look for one on my local craigslist. Not one in Atlanta yet!

The mitsu montero and the dodge raider are the same vehicle if that broadens your search. The raider is a rebadge of the montero.

Well I dropped the tank after draining 13g worth of gas out of it -_-

The pickup tube is about 98% clogged which would explain why the pump sounded like it was cavitating. I need to find a new pickup with fuel sender as my fuel sender is bad as well. GOnna do a white vinegar soak in the tank for a few days to clean it up. I'll post pictures later.

The tank has been sitting in the back of the yota for a few days now with 5 gallons of whit vinegar. I'm gonna check it out tomorrow and see how it looks. I located some monteros in the vancouver pull a part and will be buying a new pickup sending unit tomorrow. Hopefully it will be on the road this week.