5 speed

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that it where it gets a little trick, u see Im not sure. I have a J series 521 with L series motor mounts and no carrier bearing mount for a two piece drive shaft. So....this leads me to belive I need a long tail tranny so I can use a late model 620 one pice drive shaft according to some people on the forum....still not sure. Probabbly long tail.......

Ok, you want a 5 speed for a 521 with a L block, you have a couple choices, do you want the shifter to come out the stock shifter hole? If so, the easy choice, you need a 200SX 5 spd. dogleg car transmission, if you are going to haul heavy loads with your truck, then this would not be my choice, i went threw a 200sx tranny about every 1 1/2 years pulling a trailer and hauling loads, it's a car tranny. Better choice for a truck, basicly you would need a 1980 datsun 720 5 speed transmission front case(L20B engine) and a 1984 nissan 2 wheel drive, regular cab, shortbox 5 speed transmission(napZ engine) without the front case. I can explain how to put one together in more detail or help you if you are not in a big hurry.

If you do not care about the shifter coming out the stock shifter hole(have bucket seats or a notched 620 bench seat), then all you need is a datsun 620 5 speed long shaft transmission. There are a few differant gear ratios in the 620s, datzenmike(the king rat) can tell you more on that subject than I ever could. There are several ways to put the L block in your truck, the best way to locate the engine mounts is to mount the trans to the tranny mount with the engine and tranny connected to gether, level the engine, then make a set of mounts. It will require welding skills and fabracation. wayno

Thank you for all the information. I am not going to the hauling heavy loads so a dog leg would be perfect for me. I am not too picky about the shifter hole and i have not picked my seats yet so that is not a problem. Ultimately i just need to hurry up and find a high speed so i can get my truck running. i have a short tail four speed in my backyard that came with a trtck But it requires my 2 piece drive line and i don't have a carrier bearing mount on my truck. So all in all a dog leg would work out perfect

. Better choice for a truck, basicly you would need a 1980 datsun 720 5 speed transmission front case(L20B engine) and a 1984 nissan 2 wheel drive, regular cab, shortbox 5 speed transmission(napZ engine) without the front case. I can explain how to put one together in more detail or help you if you are not in a big hurry.

Wayno I know of this shorty, I got one out of a Z24 equipped 4X4. Of course it does not have the speedo pinion in it. So 2wd short wheelbase trucks have thes 26" trannys? All years or just '84? Or just Z24 years ('83-'86.5") ?

I have a picture of one with the correct speedo pinion in the tailstock. Would love one of these tailstocks to convert mine.

Thank you for all the information. I am not going to the hauling heavy loads so a dog leg would be perfect for me. I am not too picky about the shifter hole and i have not picked my seats yet so that is not a problem. Ultimately i just need to hurry up and find a high speed so i can get my truck running. i have a short tail four speed in my backyard that came with a trtck But it requires my 2 piece drive line and i don't have a carrier bearing mount on my truck. So all in all a dog leg would work out perfect

Hi there SRSANDS, the dogleg 5 speed out of the 200SX(late 70s transmission, not the newer ones) is a shortshaft, the reason it is used in the 521 pickups is it is the only manufatured 5 speed that will bolt in without modifacations, the shifter comes out the stock hole, and I beleave that the driveline slides right in. Again, it is a shortshaft which I thought meant 2 piece driveline. Your truck was a pre 1970 521 with a J13 block in it? The 200SX tranny is a car tranny with a wierd shift pattern. If you want to put in a truck transmission and can get the parts, see my previous longwinded post where it is discribed as best choice, if you need help let me know. wayno

Wayno I know of this shorty, I got one out of a Z24 equipped 4X4. Of course it does not have the speedo pinion in it. So 2wd short wheelbase trucks have thes 26" trannys? All years or just '84? Or just Z24 years ('83-'86.5") ?

I have a picture of one with the correct speedo pinion in the tailstock. Would love one of these tailstocks to convert mine.

Hi there Datzenmike, I beleave(I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time) that the shortshaft 5 speed napz transmission came in the 1984-86 two wheel drive(need speedo drive) regular cab, short box pickups, the console didn't have the change tray in front of the shifter hole, it was a shorter console. wayno

Hi there Datzenmike, I beleave(I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time) that the shortshaft 5 speed napz transmission came in the 1984-86 two wheel drive(need speedo drive) regular cab, short box pickups, the console didn't have the change tray in front of the shifter hole, it was a shorter console. wayno

Good info thanks.

Hi there SRSANDS, the dogleg 5 speed out of the 200SX(late 70s transmission, not the newer ones) is a shortshaft, the reason it is used in the 521 pickups is it is the only manufatured 5 speed that will bolt in without modifacations, the shifter comes out the stock hole, and I beleave that the driveline slides right in.

The 521 has a flange output transmission and the drive shaft bolts to it. The nut holds the spline into the tranny.

transF4W63520-521flangeo-p.jpg

Here's the 521 4 speed with the flange removed and the nut on the end of the output shaft:

F4W63flangeoutputfrom521001.jpg

If you use the 521 flange with the dogleg, (below) there is a hole in the end that will leak oil. a 40mm plug will seal it. Now the stock drive shaft can be bolted to it. (not sure if the stock drive shaft needs mods for length)

521flangeonnonflangeF4W63needsplug.jpg

Good info thanks.

The 521 has a flange output transmission and the drive shaft bolts to it. The nut holds the spline into the tranny.

transF4W63520-521flangeo-p.jpg

Here's the 521 4 speed with the flange removed and the nut on the end of the output shaft:

F4W63flangeoutputfrom521001.jpg

If you use the 521 flange with the dogleg, (below) there is a hole in the end that will leak oil. a 40mm plug will seal it. Now the stock drive shaft can be bolted to it. (not sure if the stock drive shaft needs mods for length)

521flangeonnonflangeF4W63needsplug.jpg

There you go, I learn something everyday, it's been so long ago since I had that L16 in the truck, I bought a L20B after the L16 wouldn't go up the hill to the hanggliding launch, and it had a dogleg 5 spd. on it. I changed the driveline out and have never looked back. That was a long time ago. wayno

I have that exact transmission in my backyard and a two piece drive line but no carrier bearring mount on the truck. The fifth gear makes a big difference i heard. So i shouldn't even waste my time with the parts I have right

You don't need the carrier bearing. In fact trying to add the carrier bearing is just making things overcomplicated.

If you have the original one-piece shaft from the original J13-4speed setup, then all you need is another shorttail trans. The original '69 Transmission was IDENTICAL to a 1970 L16 transmission except the bell housing and the lack of threads in the tailshaft. Take the flange off the L-series 4-speed, bolt to the L-series, install in truck, and use the original one piece shaft. Done.

Any other transmission would require mods or a different driveshaft. The shorttail dogleg would be OK driveshaft-lengthwise, but you'd need to fab up a different transmission mount because it's not in the same place as the original 4-speed. A longtail trans would also require a modded trans mount, plus a CUSTOM one-piece driveshaft.

I have a dogleg trans in good shape that I would sell. I could also provide a 510 sedan drive shaft that would have the proper yoke to slide into the dogleg but I don't know if it is too long, too short or just right.

I also have a Roadster 2000 5 speed set up with an early 240Z bell housing that will bolt to an L series engine.

Only problem is I am on the other side of the USA but I can crate and ship.

Let me know if you are interested and I can take some pics.

I also have a Roadster 2000 5 speed set up with an early 240Z bell housing that will bolt to an L series engine.

This is a rare combonation.:hmm: It's what you need to put the L block into the roadster.

Thanks. I am aware of that.

This was the first option for putting a 5 speed into a 510 or Z car.

They are getting pretty scarce now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.